It’s Time to Move Again…

Guess what?

Dear Hubby got orders to PCS (that means we’re moving for those of you that don’t know military lingo). He got the orders while he was deployed. This new career opportunity is going to be a great one, but it’s one we didn’t expect so soon. We thought we would be hanging out here for a good little while. But that’s the life of an Active Duty military family…you never get to dig roots too deep.

At first, I was slightly apprehensive about the move, but now I’m excited. This will be our 4th military base in 8 years. I’ve been spending the past couple of days trying to remember the moving process.

What are your moving tips? I know the basic ones, like spring cleaning and being careful about what you let the movers pack. However, I could use some fresh and new tips.

• Christina June 19, 2011, 9:24 AM

PS make sure the movers label the boxes not just with bedroom but with who’s bedroom. Like master bedroom. Girls room, boys room etc because this can cause a lot of confusion. If everything is labeled bedroom or bathroom, when you get to your new duty station you have no idea which bedroom, or which bathroom, I hate this. With 5 boys and 200 boxes labeled boys room you can imagine how this went.

• Tonya June 20, 2011, 10:38 PM

I’ve had movers label things as bedroom 1 and 2. That’s not helpful either! Thanks for the tip!

• Christina June 19, 2011, 9:21 AM

Enjoy your move. It is exciting to move and especially when your hubby is having a great career opportunity. This is the best advice, get on the internet and ask on your blog, which you did and also google blogs about mom’s living in (the place you are going to like Ft. Hood) and see what comes up, with a little research you will be able to find some input. I used message boards too for military families. The best advice I have though is moving is stressful so you might as well accept it as part of the plan. We always laugh when we get orders and say “you know how this is going to go?” but some of the fun is having the funny memories of all the stuff that goes wrong. After the fact of course.

• Candace @Army Wives' Lives June 11, 2011, 10:28 PM

I’m sure you already have all of your important papers in protective sleeves in a binder 😉

Each military move I thought I would be more prepared but each time I just ended up winging it. Either way, it is over soon enough!

The only “fresh” tip I can think of is to make sure you know what all-night restaurants are open around your new location–in case you arrive really late and are starving!

• Tonya June 13, 2011, 9:13 PM

That’s a good tip. Nothing worse than being new to a town and not being able to find something to eat! 🙂

• quiet spirit June 7, 2011, 2:00 PM

Questions: Will your hubby be there to help you with the moving details? Will his PCS orders follow his deployment? Or will he return to his new duty station?

• Tonya June 7, 2011, 9:57 PM

My husband is back home now, so he’ll be able to help with the moving process. 🙂

• Ralene June 6, 2011, 11:33 PM

Where ya going? (If you don’t mind me asking…) We just moved at the beginning of the year, so it’s all fresh here, but ourse was an OCONUS move, so things are a little different (i.e. you can’t stuff your vehicle w/ things to keep on hand after movers or when you first move in). A few tips:

*Before: Spring cleaning, definitely. Make sure to either stow stuff in a vehicle that you don’t want them to pack, or stuff it in a bathroom/storage closet that you clear out ahead of time. Remember that most of the time they won’t pack stuff like candles, batteries, certain types of liquids.

*In your “keep with you” stock: important papers (shot records, ss cards, certificates, etc), cleaning supplies, a box of basic dishes (if ur not going OCONUS, of course) Don’t forget to keep your cooler for the trip too!

*Packers: watch them, but also provide drinks and even food if their there over a meal.

*Arrival: clean house! They are just never clean when I move in, you know? Also, don’t rush out to buy storage type stuff. You never can remember what you have and often can repurpose stuff as you set up house again. After you unpack the boxes, then go through each room and decide what you want. 🙂

• Tonya June 7, 2011, 1:01 AM

Thanks Ralene for all of the great tips! Buying food for the movers is something that we always try to do, especially since they are packing things that are important to us. A pizza bribe never hurts! :-). I like to go in and clean too after I move into a new place. This is a CONUS move, so that will make things a little easier.

• Karen and Gerard June 6, 2011, 6:58 PM

Pack some each day–do not wait and try to do it all at once. Do not plan on doing anything the day you move–you will need your rest. Mark boxes as to what room they should go in according to what is in them.

• Tonya June 7, 2011, 1:06 AM

Thanks Karen for the tips! The military will pay for movers to move us, but there will still be things that we’ll have to pack on our own.

• JDaniel4's Mom June 6, 2011, 12:36 PM

I try to move my most fagile things on my own. I hope your move goes well.

• Tonya June 7, 2011, 12:51 AM

Thanks! I’m thinking about writing my list of things that I don’t want damaged or lost that I need to transport. I better go ahead and get started!