“Army Wives” Tragedy and Supporting Our Troops

Most of you know that I’m a huge fan of the Lifetime TV show, Army Wives. Last night, Season 5 Episode 4, revealed the person that was killed in action. I won’t spoil it and tell who it was, but let me just tell you that it was a very intense episode.

The cast did an amazing job of expressing the raw emotions and grief that many military families know all too well. I’ve NEVER cried so much from a TV show or movie! My friends and family will tell you that I’m not a crier, but this episode hit close to home.

Dear Hubby is still deployed. I have a special group of friends that are also military wives. Our husbands often deploy together. I can’t imagine what I’d do if something happened to my husband or the husband of one of my friends!

I encourage all of you to pray for our troops, even if you don’t agree with the politics of our nation. You don’t have to have a spouse, child, or friend in the military to offer up prayer.

Pray for those in combat. Pray for those making decisions about troop movements. Pray for those who provide support to those in combat. And don’t forget about the families left behind. The parents, spouses, siblings, and children of those deployed can use your prayers too.

While prayer is great, there are other things that you can do too. The Bible encourages us to not just pray, but put our faith in action.

-Send a care package or a letter to someone you know that is deployed. It will make their day!

-Offer to cook dinner for a military wife whose husband is deployed, or give them a gift card so they won’t have to worry about cooking for a night.

-Spend time with the children of a deployed soldier. Help them create fun memories to pass the time away.

-Donate to agencies like Blue Star Families, The Fisher House, and other worthy agencies that go above and beyond to support our military.

There’s so much more you can do, and most of it doesn’t cost anything except for your time.

Please support our troops and their families. Your freedom depends on it!

• Dreika October 23, 2012, 6:24 AM

Army Wives needs to start be retitled “Officer’s Wives” since that seems what it is mostly about. I think it should have ended at Season 6 with the LaBlanc’s leaving, but I will give 7 a try and see where it goes. I really wish the series would get more indepth about enlisted families and spouses, I realize that Army Wives does…sort of, as a side storyline, now and then. I would like it however to NOT be mostly about officer’s and officer’s wives. I think it would be successful if the Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, ROTC etc could be introduced into the storylines, or if they could branch off and make their own series.

• Amber March 31, 2011, 3:15 PM

I am not an army wife nor have I seen the the show but I have many friends and neighbors who are military and some of which who are deployed or will be deployig soon. I also have quite a few family members serving or have served in the past.

There is much praying that needs to be done to support them, you are so right. But also like you said,, we need to do things to help when we can as well.

My girl scout troop is going to spend this next year sending care packages over to the father of two girls in my troop. I have 8 girls in my troop and 5 of them are military families. One father has put in 20 years and now is retired, one father was injured in Iraq and now serves from here, and another is being deployed in a few months.

Great post! My prayers will be with all military and their families.

• Jessica March 29, 2011, 11:38 AM

thank you for listing these great tips about putting faith into action.
    Jessica recently posted..Sweet- Sweet Sounds

• Tonya March 30, 2011, 10:52 PM

Thanks!

• Ralene March 28, 2011, 2:45 PM

I also don’t think I’ve ever cried so much. Just thinking about it now, I’m tearing up. I also think the show did a good job of showing those emotions…it always gets me, too, to see a man cry.

• Tonya March 30, 2011, 10:51 PM

Frank made that show! He is deserving of an Emmy for his performance.

• Christina March 28, 2011, 11:09 AM

I did a post on this show too this morning. My husband is only a week into his 3rd deployment so it really hit home. I think the rest of the season, as the families on the show deal with the impact his death will have on them, should five a good indication of what Military life really is like. I pray for our military all the time. I lived on a housing area in HI that had Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine’s, and Coast guard living there so I have many friends in all areas of the military and most of them watch this show. Even though it is based on Army wives it still covers all of the other services too in a way. I wonder if they would ever do a spin off for any other branch of the service. I believe since this show is so well done that another would be great to see. I am still reeling from last nights episode. It was just a lot to handle.

• Tonya March 30, 2011, 10:49 PM

Hi Christina! I think it would be pretty interesting to have a spin off that includes other branches of service. Even Army Wives could do a few shows that include other branches. I personally think that a network should do a military family reality show. 🙂 It would definitely give the world a glance into some of the sacrifices military families have to make on a regular basis…

• Candace @Army Wives' Lives March 28, 2011, 9:51 AM

Oh, gosh–it must have been so tough for you to watch during a deployment! I broke down and cried during an episode of “Charmed”, of all things, when DH was deployed (http://armywiveslives.com/2006/01/finally-lost-it). I can only imagine!

Thank you for sharing and thank you also for all the suggestions for supporting our troops and their families!
    Candace @Army Wives’ Lives recently posted..What to Wear to a Military Ball Ask Molly

• Tonya March 30, 2011, 10:50 PM

Thanks Candace for stopping by my blog! I’m not familiar with the show “Charmed”, but I may need to check it out. Have a great day!