Deployment Hobbies

Everyone has something that they like to do when their spouse is deployed. Some people like to read, some shop and others do crafts. Hobbies are fun and help to pass the time away.

When my husband deployed in 2009, I picked up a hobby that I never thought would happen…

I started watching football. And lots of it.

It all happened by accident. My Facebook friends and Twitter followers were all talking about the games and clogging up my feeds, cheering for their favorite teams. After weeks of this occurring every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, I decided to check it out for myself. Besides, there wasn’t anything else to watch on TV. I soon got hooked.

Now that my husband is deployed again, I’ve turned back to the lovely pastime of watching professional football. This year, I added college football to my viewing list. The Bowl Games kept me busy for weeks. I even had Little Man watching football. We have a foam football that we play with during the games. Train a child up in the way he’s supposed to go…lol!

If it’s a really good game, I call my Dad and we add our own commentary, like we are Michael Strahan and Pam Oliver! I was so disappointed when Monday Night Football stopped coming on. The Pro Bowl is next week and the Super Bowl is afterwards. The season is quickly coming to a close. I guess I’ll start transitioning over to watching college and professional basketball.

But I’m sure going to miss my football games.

Questions:
What do you do to pass the time away while your spouse is deployed?
Who do you think is going to win the Superbowl?
Who is your favorite football team and why?

• Jessica January 25, 2011, 11:30 PM

I love that you chose a pic of Cam Newton =) I am a huge Auburn fan!

As far as hobbies go…I start a lot of stuff: sewing, scrapbooking, organizing…not so good at finishing them though…maybe this deployment I will (not looking too good though,ha)
    I do however really, really enjoy Zumba…it is quickly becoming my new hobby

• Trooppetrie January 25, 2011, 3:29 PM

football, really? Haha! I do read. it depends upon the time of the year. Summer we do more fun things and I sew more but during the year we are so busy with school there is not much free time. I do try to take less breaks from school and work ahead so when he comes home we can take off time with him
    Trooppetrie recently posted..Gratitude Tuesday

• Bianca January 24, 2011, 6:06 PM

I’ve only had to go through one deployment so far (and it was before we got married) so I spent my time wedding planning! The next one will probably not come til 2012, but my hubs is in the Navy so he has several weeks were they are out to sea (we call these mini-deployments) and I use that time to hang out with my girlfriend – I try to have at least 2 coffee dates each week! I’ve tried watching football with him, but the only part I like is te halftime shows and fwy typically dont show those unless it is the Superbowl. Speaking of that, I did watch last year’s since the Saints have been a family team his whole life. He was bummed the year they made it he was overseas, but he was so happy they won! I think you’ll enjoy basketball – I’ve always liked how it’s faster paced 🙂
    Bianca recently posted..a spoonful of sugar

• Candace @Army Wives' Lives January 24, 2011, 5:30 PM

Thank you for sharing this post at the Carnival!

I think my hobby was extra volunteering (pre-kids)…but I also watched HGTV and Bravo constantly (not something my husband enjoys as much as I do).

Now that I have kids, I think my deployment hobby would be sleep! *lol*
    Candace @Army Wives’ Lives recently posted..Military Family Blogger Carnival – January 24

• Tonya January 24, 2011, 9:06 PM

I totally agree with you on the sleep comment! 🙂 HGTV is a great network. I like House Hunters. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

• Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting January 24, 2011, 1:41 PM

I love football, too! Steelers are gonna win it all, baby! Woohoo! 🙂

(BTW, great to “meet” you through the Military Family Blogger Carnival!)
    Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting recently posted..The Untold Rules for Military Goodbyes

• Tonya January 24, 2011, 9:02 PM

I think the Steelers will win too! Nice to “meet” you too! 🙂

• South Loop Social Light January 24, 2011, 9:35 AM

1. When my husband is deployed I like to end every night with a bubble bath and fall asleep watching The Nanny lol…

2. I was rooting for my home team, the Chicago Bears… but that’s not happening after yesterday’s loss so I don’t really care lol.

3. The Chicago Bears are my favorite team because I grew up with them! Gotta root for the home team.

• Tonya January 24, 2011, 9:01 PM

I haven’t watched “The Nanny.” I’ve watched “Super Nanny” though! 🙂 The Bears did a pretty good rally at the end. Oh well.

• Mrs. K January 24, 2011, 8:17 AM

When my husband deploys, I’m a crafter, reader, and excessive worker outer (lol).
    As far as football goes, I love it! Always have. I think the Steelers are going to win the Superbowl this year! My favorite college team is the Tennessee Vols because I was raised in East TN and didn’t miss a game for most of my life 🙂 until I said “I do” to the Army, of course.
    Mrs. K recently posted..Military Mondays- Care Package Edition

• Tonya January 24, 2011, 8:59 PM

I think the Steelers are going to win too! But we’ll see. I haven’t done any crafts in a while. I need to finish my wedding scrapbook (which has been 7 years in the making! lol