My Breast Cancer Scare

Starting Line at Race for the Cure

Dear Hubby, Little Man, and I all participated in Race for the Cure, which is sponsored by the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation. This is my second year participating. Last year, Dear Hubby couldn’t participate due to his deployment, but this year he was there to support me.

I’m passionate about fighting cancer. Too many people in my family have been affected by it. I even had my own cancer scare.

In June 2009, I had a large inflamed area on my breast that was raised, red, and very painful. I called my doctor about it and was able to get a same day appointment. The doctor was pretty concerned about it and scheduled me for a mammogram and ultrasound. Within 3 days, I had an appointment scheduled for the next week at the Breast Care Center.

The whole experience was very scary for my husband and me. I was only 30 years old and my doctor was concerned that I might have breast cancer. We didn’t tell many people about it. Just close family members. We spent a lot of time in prayer.

On the day of my exams, Dear Hubby took off work to go with me. Many women in the waiting room were sharing their stories and offering each other support. We waited in the waiting room for a long time. Finally, it was my turn to be called back.

The ultrasound was first. The ultrasound tech seemed to be very surprised at what she was seeing. The ultrasound was painful because she had to keep pressing down on the area that was inflamed.

Next in line was the mammogram. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I’ve heard all kinds of horror stories about mammograms, but the tech I had was very gentle. Maybe she heard about the pain I went through with the ultrasound tech…

After the exams, I went to a new waiting room. I prayed and asked God to heal my body. Finally, the Radiologist called me into a conference room. He told me that I didn’t have breast cancer. That was a relief!

He then explained to me that I had an inflamed vein. In his many years of practice, he’s only seen it twice, which explains why the ultrasound tech seemed to be so surprised.

After about a month, the pain went away and there were no signs of the inflamed vein. After following up with my doctor and getting another ultrasound six months later, I was given a clean bill of health.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Ladies, please examine your breasts on a monthly basis. This simple exam can save your life. Here’s a link about breast self awareness from Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

Below are some pics from the Race for the Cure.

Before the race...the sun was coming up

Starting Line at Race for the Cure

Starting Line

Little Man rode on Dear Hubby's shoulders for 80% of the race.

Race for the Cure 5K Finish Line

5K Finish Line!

• Tamara Derouen December 6, 2010, 8:21 PM

I’m relieved that everything turned out okay for you Tonya! God is so good! 😉

• Tamara Derouen December 6, 2010, 8:21 PM

This story really touched my heart as my mother in law passed away on 10/30/2010 after a 6 year battle with breast cancer. I think as women, we need to really get inclined with our bodies and educate ourselves on womanhood. Too many of us are afraid of going to the doctor, in fear of receiving bad news. Always remember, detection is the best protection.

• Tonya December 7, 2010, 12:17 PM

So sorry to hear about your loss. You are right about us needing to be in tune with our bodies. We can’t let fear stop us from getting the care we need. Outcomes are so much better when things are treated early and it may not even be as bad as we think. It’s better to be safe than sorry!

• Favor November 3, 2010, 9:41 PM

Thank you for sharing! God is so amazing. I had the same experience that Karren had with the swollen underarm, I saw a few doctors about it before I was told it was from shaving and something getting in a hair shaft. It makes me think of how sometimes I take things for granted – like a good report!

• Sistergirl October 31, 2010, 8:49 PM

What at testimony! Praise God for all he has done in your life. What a blessing.

• Mrs. S. October 30, 2010, 1:22 AM

How scary but thank heavens!!

• Amber October 28, 2010, 10:26 PM

Wow, so glad you were given a clean bill of health.
    Your right, we usually think of breast cancer in older women.
    But it happens for women of all ages.

What a great cause to walk for!!

• Jessica October 28, 2010, 8:40 PM

Praise God that everything was ok!
    And how wonderful that all 3 of you participate in the walk!

• Karren October 28, 2010, 3:26 PM

Praise God that everything was ok!! I have recently had a scare myself.. For me it was a swollen underarm though. I saw my OB the other day for a pregnancy check-up and pointed out my underarm to her.. she immediately sent me for an ultrasound the same day. It was scary and I don’t think I’ve ever prayed harder! Thankfully the radiology doctor said it looks like it’s just extra breast tissue and nothing cancerous! (The only bad thing is it will most likely get more swollen and maybe a little painful the further along I get in my pregnancy, which I’m not looking forward to.) The whole experience has me wanting to tell all my girl friends to take those self exams extremely serious though, even if they are a 20-something year old like me! Because you just never know..

• Tonya October 28, 2010, 4:22 PM

I knew of a girl that died from breast cancer in her mid-twenties. We can’t get into the idea that only women older than 40 get breast cancer. Self exams are so important!

I’m glad everything worked out okay for you! Praying that your pregnancy goes wonderful!!

• lavender October 28, 2010, 10:55 AM

Thank God for the scares that lead us to steps of prevention! I’m a firm believer in doing my part, so Jesus will do His. Sweet, Jesus!

• Tonya October 28, 2010, 4:23 PM

That’s right Lavender! We all have a part to do in taking care of our temple. 🙂

• Kennisha October 28, 2010, 1:07 AM

Wow! Praise God! I’m so happy to hear that everything was/is okay. God is so good. Love this article. Thanks for sharing your testimony with us!

Blessings,
    Kennisha

• Tonya October 28, 2010, 4:25 PM

Thanks Kennisha for stopping by today!