A Home Remedy for Cough and Congestion

Nothing reminds you of cold and flu season like nasal congestion and a hacking cough in September.

My sinuses have been kicking up like crazy for the past few weeks and I’ve been spending some time in prayer for simple things, like being able to breathe out of my nose, deliverance from coughing, and for God to fix the leaky faucet in my nose.

A Home Remedy for Cough and Congestion by Tonya Nash

Last year when Little Man had a cough, Ms. Janice told me about a home remedy that would take care of cough and congestion over night. She told me to put a layer of Vicks VapoRub on the bottom of Little Man’s feet, put some socks on him, and put him to bed. I promise you, I didn’t hear much coughing and congestion out of him after that night. It was a dramatic improvement!

I didn’t remember this miracle remedy until I had been down for the count for a few days. After using almost a roll of toliet paper to blow my nose, a light bulb came on:

If that remedy worked for Little Man, it probably will work for me too!

I put a thick slab of Vicks VapoRub on the bottom of my feet and put on my blue fuzzy socks. I love fuzzy socks! Anyway, I had the best sleep that night! I woke up that morning and immediately thought, Wow! I can breathe out of my nose!

Good thing Dear Hubby was out of town, cause our bedroom smelled like a Vicks VapoRub factory. I had to wash the sheets and comforter, but that’s okay. I could breathe again!

I did an online search and found that this remedy is actually called an “urban legend”. Apparently, an email went viral about this remedy, saying that scientists did a study on this and found it to be effective.

Of course, snopes.com found this email to be false, but only because it has never been scientifically tested for the purpose of being placed on the feet to relieve cough and congestion.

Regardless of whether it was scientifically tested or not, I found it to be very effective for me and Little Man. Besides, in my experience, the only harm this can cause is smelly sheets and socks.

Moral of the story: If you or your children have a stuffy runny nose, constant cough, or chest congestion, try putting some Vicks VapoRub on the bottom of your feet with some socks. I bet you a box of Kleenex that you will notice a difference in the morning.

Questions:
Have you ever heard of this remedy?
What are some of your tried and true home remedies?

• Donna Perugini September 28, 2010, 11:28 AM

What I had heard was: Put it all over your feet, and put on socks over it all. Keep doing this to have softer feet.

Or use Vicks on a fungus toe nail for about a year and the fungus will be eliminated. (that takes patience)

My mother used to put it on our necks, then wrap a wool sock around the Vicks and neck (pin the sock on). Hated the wool sock!

• Tonya September 28, 2010, 9:30 PM

I heard about the fungus thing too. Now putting Vicks around your neck with a wool sock would help in which way?

• Donna Perugini September 28, 2010, 11:30 PM

I think it kept the vapors up near our noses and the wool sock kept the neck warm as vick’s tends to make you feel cool and it’s goopy. I guess it kept the pillows and covers clean too.
        The elderly lady that used it on her feet told me it made them feel like they were as smooth as when she was younger.

• Amber September 28, 2010, 1:32 PM

I have used this as well. It does work wonders! I use it on my kids each winter. My son has asthma so each cold is worse due to the asthma but the vicks helps so much that his astham is a little better during the cold as well.
    I always say if you want to know what really works ask a grandma, not a doctor!!

Hope you feel better soon!

• Tonya September 28, 2010, 9:34 PM

That is so true! Some of the old home remedies do have merit! I love that saying…Ask a grandma, not a doctor.

• Desiray September 29, 2010, 10:56 AM

I’ve only use it on my nose and chest..but when it does not work I go to my doctors because being congested for several days requires something much stronger.
    Desiray recently posted..Simple Word of Blessing

• Kathryn September 29, 2010, 5:11 PM

That is so interesting, I am going to have to try that! Actually Adam is been keeping this cold on for about a week now, I will have to go buy some and try it.

• Terri Rae October 18, 2010, 8:31 AM

Just tried it! I had been hacking for a couple of days. The hard barking cough and just couldn’t stop. A friend from church reminded me of this remedy. I came home immediately and gave it a try. I have little coughs now and then but not the sessions. Almost 24 hours now without the hard barking cough. I did use Vicks not a store brand because the ingredients were different and I put socks on over my feet. I have to repeat every 4-6 hours. I would rather have it on my feet then around my neck. The vapors get to me after awhile when on my neck.

• Midlife Army Wife January 13, 2011, 9:32 PM

I’ve used that remedy many times and it works for me! Scientific or not, I’m all for it. I had to laugh at the comment about your room smelling like a Vicks factory because that’s exactly what happens in our house if I get congested.
    Midlife Army Wife recently posted..The 30-second-hug that lasts a lifetime

• Karen Chalk May 22, 2011, 1:48 PM

A friend told me about this remedy, we both laughed at the time, but last night my daughter was coughing so much I thought lets have a try – after I put the vapour rub on her feet, she did not cough once afterwards. I have done the same tonight and not a peep yet !!!. Highly recommended – weird but amazingly right.

• PEGGY LANE July 12, 2011, 4:38 PM

HERE’S ONE EVEN BETTER! MY GRANDMOTHER USED TO MAKE WHAT SHE CALLED “VICKS SUGAR CANDY” WHICH WAS VICKS AND LOTS OF BROWN SUGAR MIXED TOGETHER UNTIL IT WAS REAL THICK. I HAD TO EAT A TEASPOON EVERY (4 )HOURS. SHE PUT VICKS UP MY NOSE AND WOULD RUB MY CHEST WITH VICKS. THEN SHE WOULD TAKE (2) OF MY GRANDFATHERS HANDKERCHIEFS AND SEW (3) SIDES TOGETHER THEN FILL IT WITH RAW CHOPPED ONIONS, FOLD IT OVER AND PIN IT UNDER MY UNDERSHIRT OR PJ TOP. SHE RUBBED VICKS ON MY FEET THEN FILLED MY SOCKS WITH RAW CHOPPED ONIONS AND PUT THEM ON ME. SHE THEN WRAPPED ME TIGHTLY IN A WOOL BLANKET SO I WOULD SWEAT AND MY PORES WOULD OPEN. BELIEVE IT OR NOT I WAS TOTALLY WELL WITHIN (2) DAYS. I DID THE SAME THING WITH MY (2) CHILDREN. I’M IN MY 70′S AND MY GIRLS ARE IN THEIR 50′S AND WE’RE STILL ALIVE. “WHAT WON’T KILL YOU WILL CURE YOU” WAS MY GRANDMOTHER’S PHILOSOPHY. I DON’T KNOW IF THE INGREDIENTS IN VICKS HAS CHANGED SINCE THE 1940′S BUT I WOULDN’T EAT IT NOW!!! I DO STILL PUT A LITTLE VICKS UP MY NOSE TO BREATHE BETTER. ANOTHER USE FOR VICKS IS IF YOU HAVE A HEADACHE RUB A LITTLE VICKS ACROSS YOUR FOREHEAD AND TIE A HANDKERCHIEF/SCARF ABOUND YOUR HEAD TIGHTLY. I DO STILL DO THAT AND IT DOES HELP.

• Tonya July 16, 2011, 9:41 PM

I never heard of using Vicks for a headache! I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip! And raw onions you say? That had to be an interesting smelling combination: Vicks and onions. :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great day!

• Deva May 13, 2012, 2:37 AM

I was looking up “remedies for a runny nose” on google, and I clicked the link to this page. This is my second time reading about putting Vicks and socks on your feet to help you breathe better in the morning. It sounds so weird, but my ears are hurting from all of the nose-blowing I’ve been doing, so I will definitely try it tonight. Thank you so much!

• Barbara November 8, 2012, 9:26 PM

Was doing a search for home remedies for chest congestion and cough and found this. Not only was it entertaining to read but it got me thinking… If this many people swear by it then I am going to tie my husband down and force him to wear socks all night. Was telling him if he did not visit a Dr to find out what was wrong then he would be visiting the morgue…. his coughing has been keeping me up for the last few nights and I need the releif as much as he does. Here is to hoping he STOPS!!!! Ladies please pray for me because I will need it if this does not work…

• Helen Taylor March 21, 2013, 9:53 AM

I here about this from my sister and i tried it last night and it work, i did not cough all night so same again to night for me.

• kaye April 1, 2013, 9:16 AM

if u put it on your chest the vapors help u breathe better. i agree w/ one of the other readers using it on the feet for other purposes.