The Potty Race

Potty training is going pretty good with Little Man. He has #1 down pat and tells me when he has to go with 90% accuracy.

As for the other 10%?

Well, 5% of the time he waits until he can’t hold it another minute. He starts crying and jumping up and down like he has ants in his pants. It took about two of these episodes for me to realize that this signal requires me to stop EVERYTHING and run with him at cheetah speed to the bathroom. Most of the time when he does this, he’s already started peeing but managed to stop to give me the signal.

The other 5% of the time accounts for when he is too occupied with having fun to go to the bathroom.

Sadly, I can’t report any real success with #2. We are UNSUCCESSFUL 90% of the time. Pray for us.

Occasionally, Dear Hubby and I will get brave and take Little Man out in public with big boy underwear. No pull-ups. Just Toy Story underwear.

This weekend, we had to go to the car dealership to get some work done on one of our vehicles. We were told that it wouldn’t take long, maybe 30-45 minutes. We had a few other errands to run and decided to combine them all into one trip since our stops were close in proximity to each other.

When we left the house, Dear Hubby and I reminded ourselves that Little Man had on big boy underwear and we had to stay on top of it.

After about an hour of being out and about, we picked up some food at Chick-Fil-A, which was a couple of doors down from the dealership. We arrived at the dealership for our 2:30PM appointment and went to the waiting room with our food. I hadn’t ate all morning, so I was more than ready to devour my chicken sandwich and yogurt parfait, while washing it down with a fresh lemonade. I took one bite out of my hot and fresh chicken sandwich when all of a sudden, I see Little Man doing impressive vertical jumps over and over again.

“POTTY!!! POTTY,” screamed my Little Man.

I put my sandwich down at lightning speed, grabbed Little Man and RAN in the direction of the bathroom, which was nowhere near the waiting room.

Car Salesmen and potential buyers watched our track and field performance with a half smile, knowing that I was trying to save them from a river on their showroom floor.

Little Man was excited about our PT run, singing a potty song that he and his Dada made up, as if he was running in cadence:

“PEE PEE PEE PEE POTTY!! PEE PEE PEE PEE POTTY!!” (It’s supposed to be “Pee Pee in the Potty” but oh well)

We burst through the door of the bathroom and sprinted for a stall. I chose the last one so that we would have more room. I pushed Little Man in and closed the door behind us. I had to lift him up so he could “Pee Pee in the Potty” and that’s when I saw it.

A massive black cricket was within two steps of me. It moved its antennae in our direction.

Now here’s a sidenote: I HATE BUGS! They give me the creepy crawlies, but I had a decision to make: Freak out while Little Man is in midstream or calm down and pray that the cricket on steroids doesn’t move.

Thankfully, the mutated cricket didn’t move. After Little Man was done, I grabbed him and quickly exited the stall to wash our hands and head back to the waiting room, walking this time.

When we got back, Dear Hubby had a question:

Dear Hubby: “Did you make it?”

Me: “Yes, we made it. Barely though. Did we have extra clothes for him?”

Dear Hubby: “No, we didn’t.”

Whew! That was closer than I thought! Note to self: Always have an extra change of clothes for Little Man.

• Gwyn August 10, 2010, 6:11 PM

I can identify. My youngest is going thru the same right now. Last week it was at the eye doctor’s office…..

• Jessica August 10, 2010, 10:43 AM

What a funny story! =)
    I think we have all been there
    Jessica recently posted..1st Day of School!

• Jolyn@Budgets are the New Black August 9, 2010, 1:24 PM

Ha! Way to go. It was years before I didn’t have an extra pair of underwear stashed in my purse. And pants, too. It’s amazing how small you can make them roll up. 🙂

I remember when my oldest was little and we were driving through Nowhere Texas and he had to pee, so we stopped on the side of the road. He talked about it for weeks, “I got to pee on a rock!” *sigh* Boys are so easy. I’ve yet to master the art of peeing on the run with my little girl. We just aren’t made that way. 😉

• Christian Mommy Writer August 9, 2010, 11:14 PM

I’ve learned to start carrying around plastic bags too in case! However, I didn’t have one on the day in question. Yeah, I was pretty unprepared. 🙂 Little Man hasn’t done the pee outdoors thing yet. I’m scared that might start a precedent! LOL

• Tell Me something Good August 9, 2010, 9:25 AM

Oddly, you’ve made me really hungry with this post. I love Chic-Fil-A. Glad you didn’t have to walk around with him wet. What kinda car are you looking at?
    Tell Me something Good recently posted..Is it possible to just be friends

• Ms. Understood August 9, 2010, 9:24 AM

Girl . . . . . First of all, I almost didn’t come in because that bug looked like a roach . . ugh . . . LOL @ that story. I HATE bugs. Good job on your 100 yard dash to the potty and lol at the song.
    Ms. Understood recently posted..Yin Yang

• Jennifer August 9, 2010, 6:38 AM

Just stopping by from SITS…..Great post! It made me laugh out loud! Good luck. 🙂

• South Loop Social Light August 9, 2010, 2:40 AM

Glad you guys had some success! Like you, I’m completely horrified by crickets. I live in Arizona where they are plentiful, but still they give me the creeps. Raid has this awesome Home and Garden spray (the green can) that does a stellar job at killing ALL bugs. I go crazy spraying this stuff around the corners and doors in my house.

• Christian Mommy Writer August 9, 2010, 11:12 PM

Girl I had to go crazy spraying not too long ago. A dead cricket (a different one) was near my front door and there was a hundred ants on my front porch by the door eating him. It was gross, but I had to move past fear and put on my exterminator’s hat.

• South Loop Social Light August 10, 2010, 1:29 AM

Yeah, crickets make my heart rate sky rocket! lol…. they are just like roaches to me. I hate them. They make my skin crawl. 1 night I stayed awake for an extra 2 hours trying to find this cricket in my room so I could kill it lol. I swear by that Raid in the Green can. It works wonders plus it’s safe to use around pets.

• Jayme August 9, 2010, 1:57 AM

Hi Tonya! I hopped over from the 31DBBB feed. I remember when I was potty training my little girl, number 2 really was quite tough. There was a time when she wouldn’t go unless she had her diaper on. But every little mishap helped her to learn and now she’s fully potty trained. No more diapers when we go out, just lots of wet tissue and toilet disinfectant.

It’s good you’re putting big boy underwear on your Little Man when you go out. That’s good training for him too. Aside from extra clothes, wet wipes and alcohol may also come in handy, just in case. 😉

Good luck!
    Jayme recently posted..Toddler Sibling Rivalry- How I help my toddlers get along

• Christian Mommy Writer August 9, 2010, 11:08 PM

You are right. I have to add stuff to sanitize the toilet if I need to for him. Right now it hasn’t been an issue (90% fail rate with #2), but it’s always better to be safe than sorry!

I know that you are enjoying the freedom that comes with a potty trained toddler! I’ll be there with you one day. 🙂

• Rian December 26, 2012, 10:05 PM

The Harrisons – Give him the Pull-Ups. First, you are right, they are the same as a diaper and they aren’t going to help him with potty tnaniirg at ALL . BUT, it will help you because he can take himself to the potty 1000 times every day if he wants without any help from you and that will encourage him. Also, it will keep you from discouraging him to run to the potty for the umpteenth time today, which in the end is the goal anyway. I agree, a move would send him into regression anyway, so why bother doing the real potty tnaniirg stuff yet. But the Pull-Up might buy you a little sanity and him a little independence/confidence, neither of which are overpriced when you consider the difference you’d pay between a pull up and a diaper. How’s that for ten cents worth (I can never keep it to just two cents! :)As a mom, I’ve learned that there are alot of gimmicky things that don’t work but are well worth the money if it helps me or my kids get through the day with a little less hassle.