The Highs and Lows of Facebook

This week was a very interesting week for Dear Hubby.

Late Saturday night, I was reading a book and he was on his computer. All of a sudden, he got really excited. One of his old friends from Germany found him on Facebook. Dear Hubby was an Army Brat and lost touch with a lot of his friends from his teenage years. He often talked about how he wish he could reconnect with some of them, but he couldn’t remember some of their last names. Plus, there was no telling where they were. He couldn’t even begin to think where to start looking.

The friend that found him from Germany was also Facebook friends with about 20 other classmates of Dear Hubby. He got so excited that he interrupted my reading at least ten times (no kidding) to tell me stories about each person he reconnected with on Facebook. It was a wonderful night for him and he stayed up well after I fell asleep, catching up with old friends that now resided all over the United States.

As a matter of fact, as I’m typing this post, he’s catching up with a few more of them.

But nothing could have prepared him for the news he received a few days later.

One of my husband’s friends from the military that was stationed with him at two bases died in a motorcycle accident over the weekend. Guess how I found out? You guessed it…Facebook. Another military spouse that we know from a previous base posted about it on her status and I was floored when I read it. I knew that Dear Hubby didn’t know because he was in training all day. I was sick to my stomach.

I quickly tried to figure out what to do. I decided that I would see if he could meet me for lunch, but I was unsuccessful in reaching him. He finally called me back an hour later and I told him that I wanted to come and see him for a little while. I got Little Man ready and we headed off to the base to tell Dear Hubby the bad news.

After what seemed like forever, I met up with Dear Hubby. But he already knew. One of his friends sent him a text about it. He was pretty down, but he didn’t want to focus on it then. I just wanted to make sure he was okay. My husband thought highly of his friend and they had communicated by email recently. My husband and his military friend had so many stories together. I’m smiling right now thinking about them.

Dear Hubby still hasn’t talked much about the death of his friend. He’s putting it on a shelf way in the back of his mind. Eventually, he’ll have to talk about it. I know what it’s like to lose a dear friend. He’ll need me to lean on and I’ll be there, just like he has been for me.

Isn’t it funny how Facebook can bring out the highs and lows of friendship?

• Susan August 13, 2010, 10:31 AM

Wow..that’s so unfortunate. ISo sorry to hear about your loss. I just did a post on Facebook…looks like we are on the same page. You know..many times I remember names from the past and look them up. Sometime I’m successful sometimes I’m not and I always wonder what happened to those people who’s names don’t pop up:( I’ve already learned of two deaths in my graduating class (not through facebook). Facebook is an amazing tool but like everything, it was deliver tough news. I pray that your husband finally opens up to you and vents. He will come around;)
    Susan recently posted..Facebook Anyone

• Geek.Girl.Wife August 12, 2010, 7:14 PM

I really love your blog. Being a former military wife with the Geek.Boy.Husband, I can so relate. And being a total geek, I can relate to the Facebook thing. Totally. I have reconnected with grade school classmates even! I even found my very first boyfriend again on Facebook! It’s amazing that a site like Facebook can help us reconnect with people.

Great post and great blog. Officially loved and linked.
    Geek.Girl.Wife recently posted..What Makes A Good Blogger

• lavender August 12, 2010, 8:29 AM

You’re right, Facebook makes us face the good and the bad of life.

• Tracie August 11, 2010, 9:05 PM

I’m so sorry for your husband’s loss. It is never easy to loose a friend.

• Mrs. S. August 11, 2010, 7:49 PM

So bittersweet. I’m sorry for your DH loss.
    Mrs. S. recently posted..Ten Great Things About Being a Military Wife

• Summer August 11, 2010, 2:35 PM

Well even if you don’t get the good news, remember, God helps us handle everything! And definately check out the app. It’s helped me with those stubborn pounds. I’ve reccomended it to everyone I know, lol!
    Summer recently posted..How about I Lose It

• Ms. Understood August 11, 2010, 10:46 AM

I’m not on Facebook. It feels like a really big . . . intrusion, which might be a harsh word, but that’s how I feel. I know I’m missing out on catching up with that friend I knew in 3rd grade or my cousin who I never met, etc. But I feel like it allows me to have my life to myself. I’m kinda a private person (odd, yet I blog). As much as I like the idea of Facebook, it’s just too open for me.

My prayers are for your family and for the family of your husband’s friend. I’m sorry for your loss.
    Ms. Understood recently posted..Its so hard to say

• Christian Mommy Writer August 11, 2010, 2:13 PM

Thanks for the prayers. As for Facebook, I have a lot of privacy settings on my personal page. That helps me remain private except for to those that I choose to reconnect with. You are right though, it can become an issue with privacy and your own personal protection if you don’t set up proper controls.

Have a great day!

• Summer August 11, 2010, 9:53 AM

Facebook has evolved so much. I can remember when it was just for college students and it finally came to my university. People actually threw parties in honor of getting facebook. I’m glad your hubs has connected with old friends. So sorry for the loss. Hopefully, fb will only bring good news from here on out.

• Christian Mommy Writer August 11, 2010, 2:14 PM

I hope so too! We could definitely use some good news right now. 🙂

• Melanie August 11, 2010, 8:51 AM

I am so sorry to hear about this! I can’t imagine learning of something like this through FB. Praying for the family of your friend.

Hugs,
    Melanie
    ~ melscoffeebreak.blogspot.com ~

• Christian Mommy Writer August 11, 2010, 2:10 PM

Thanks for your prayers!

• South Loop Social Light August 11, 2010, 2:47 AM

I remember a time when people hesitated to put such personal posts on facebook but nowadays some friendships are maintained solely by the site. I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s loss, but luckily he’s had a chance to keep in touch with other friends and reconnect.