Every Little Bit Counts

It’s been a while since I’ve given an update on our progress with the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University Program.  We’re still chipping away at our debt, but I must admit that we haven’t been going with the same gazelle intensity as before.

We had a few unexpected things to come up this summer that required us to modify our debt elimination plan.  Right now, we are about 2 months behind on our debt free goal.  I’m hoping that we can pick back up and regain gazelle intensity in the fall.  The honest truth is that I’m not good with being frugal during the summer time.  I like to live a little and do some traveling.  And you already know about my love for all things technology and office supply related.

I do have a few good things to report.

Whenever I get change back from purchases (less than $1.00), I put it in a piggy bank.  I do the same thing for my husband’s loose change that he leaves lying around.  One day, I noticed that there wasn’t enough room for me to put more change in the piggy bank.  I took my good ole piggy bank to cash in our coins and guess how much money we had?

310 quarters
228 dimes
129 nickels
594 pennies

That came to a grand total of $112.69!!!  We had no idea that there was that much money stuffed in that little piggy bank.  Every little bit counts!

We have eliminated 64% of our debt since January 1st.  We just have to stay on track and push through to the finish line.

• Favor August 9, 2010, 10:01 PM

Wow! That’s amazing – 64%. What a blessing. Thank you for sharing, it’s encouraging. On a side note: I wish I could save change around here! But living in LA, everything has a parking meter: some grocery stores, most post offices!
    Favor recently posted..Why I No Longer Read the Bible

• Jessica July 28, 2010, 9:37 AM

Great job!
    Our family is doing the same thing! We love the Dave Ramsey plan…so far we have eliminated all our debt except our house…whoo-hoo…living like noone else so we can live like noone else =)
    Jessica recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

• Christian Mommy Writer August 8, 2010, 7:26 PM

That’s what I’m talking about! Congratulations! We’re going to be there with you soon…

• lavender July 28, 2010, 8:10 AM

I do the piggy bank savings also and what a difference it makes. Sooo, what are you going to do with the savings the little pig saved for you?

• Christian Mommy Writer August 8, 2010, 7:25 PM

We took the money and bought new keys for my husband’s car. My key broke and Dear Hubby lost his. We only had a valet key left and sharing wasn’t working out too well, especially when we switched cars. He would often forget to leave me his key and I would be stranded! That wasn’t cool one bit! 🙂 lol

• Teresa July 28, 2010, 6:35 AM

We are doing the same thing with loose change…it’s such a great feeling, isn’t it? Thank you for your ‘gazelle’ like intensity which provides inspiration for your readers! In the ‘gazelle’ like intensity; may we run with great fervency towards the goal of the prize which is Jesus Christ; versus running with great intensity from the one who wishes to devour us. Love your post!
    Teresa
    Teresa recently posted..July 28- 2010- Song of Angels- Freddy Hayler

• Christian Mommy Writer August 8, 2010, 7:20 PM

Thanks Teresa! I’m glad that God has blessed me to be able to inspire others and I plan to do so as long as he gives me strength! 🙂

• South Loop Social Light July 28, 2010, 1:42 AM

My husband and I made it a goal to pay off our debt during this 1st deployment. We were thrilled to pay off all of our debt (credit cards included) a few weeks ago. It feels amazing to have things paid off.

Good luck on your debt payoff plan!

• Christian Mommy Writer August 8, 2010, 7:19 PM

Congratulations on paying off your debt!!! I hope to have that same feeling at the end of the year. That is complete freedom! 🙂

• Ms. Understood July 28, 2010, 1:35 AM

Great job with the piggy bank savings. I am more of a saver than my husband. Although, I’m just as bad of a spender as he is (I just set aside something first then spend like the money is burning a hole in my hand). I need to cash in what’s in our change tray and put in in our petty cash box. We have about $300 in that (it’s hidden from my husband because he kept using it for hair cut money, LOL). I bought David Ramsey’s workbook, but never really got into it. What would you say is the best technique from his teachings?
    Ms. Understood recently posted..Oh- I think they like me

• Christian Mommy Writer August 8, 2010, 7:18 PM

Take what works best for you from his teachings. My husband and I have made a few modifications to fit our needs. One thing Dave Ramsey recommends is to use cash instead of debit and credit cards. That way, you can account better for your money once you set a budget. Maybe that will help? There are a few more tips he gives, like paying off your smallest debt and rolling that money into your next debt, like a snowball.

If you have more questions, fee free to email me! 🙂