What’s for Dinner?

I’m in a cooking rut.  I’m running out of ideas of things to cook for dinner.

We eat so much chicken that I think I’m going to grow feathers and start clucking.

I’m tired of cooking the same thing, over and over again. I’ve been checking out the Food Network, cooks.com and other recipe websites, but I’m not finding anything that I want to cook or eat.

What is your favorite dish to cook? I need help. Please don’t tell me about a recipe that takes all day to prepare just to get it in the oven or one with 50,000 ingredients. I need EASY recipes with ingredients that most everyone has in their home.

Oh…and one more thing from the picky cook…

Please don’t give recipes for anything that is spicy or includes red sauce. The reflux monster jumps on my back when I eat foods with those ingredients.

From your suggestions, I will pick a recipe, cook it, and blog about it. I’m looking forward to your suggestions…my husband is too! ?

• Eagles Wings April 10, 2010, 3:35 PM

Hi I've been reading your blog for a short time now, don't think I've commented…
    But I got in a rut in January and decided to write on the calendar every dinner I fixed, I began to rotate meals.
    i.e. Pork, chicken, ground beef, pot roast etc…
    I also love ALLRECIPES.com you can search for specific ingredients as well as see how others have rated the recipe. 4 or 5 stars etc…

Suprisingly enough I found a recipe for meatloaf – my husband hates meatloaf but I just had to try it. It's now become a favorite in our house…

I have four boys so I'm all about easy recipes!! does red sauce include ketchup? if so sorry this one won't work for you. But maybe you can find something else at ALL recipes that works for you.
    Deborah

• cheri April 8, 2010, 2:36 AM

hey, i stumbled upon a recipe blog. maybe you can try her recipes and blog about it.

• Natalie at Mommy on Fire April 6, 2010, 9:18 PM

Holy cow I made an amazing taco salad tonight and it's low in fat AND delicious. It includes ground beef (I use Laura's Lean but you could use whatever you want – you could even use chicken 🙂 or refried beans!) – if you want it, let me know and I will email it to you. It's not bad – just requires about 15 minutes of chopping which could be done ahead of time. Good luck! I understand the food rut!

• Kathryn April 6, 2010, 3:44 PM

I know exactly how you feel! I have complied a list of easy recipes if you want to check it out!

• Christian Mommy Writer April 6, 2010, 3:38 PM

@Kristine – Thanks for the link! I'm going to check it out.

@Fallingintofavor – feel free to lurk around. Maybe we all can get some good new recipes! 🙂

@Hannah – I'm going to email you.

@JamericanSpice – You are right about chicken, but I'm tired of eating it so much! 🙂

@Amber – A Live in cook would be great!

@Jenny – I've never been to Pioneer Woman's Website. I have to check it out.

@Snuggly – That sounds good. I'll check and see if I can find it online.

• Snuggly Monkey mama April 6, 2010, 3:11 PM

Thanks for stopping by today 🙂 One of my favorite quick recipes is the Pasta Caprese from cooksillutrated.com. It is SUPER yummy with garden fresh tomatoes in the summer. If you can't get access to the recipe online, just email me and I can email it to you.

• Jenny April 6, 2010, 1:29 PM

I feel the same way. I go to Pioneer Woman's website a lot. Her food is yummy, easy and usually made with things I have in my cabinet. Good luck.

Stopping by from SITS!

• Amber April 5, 2010, 11:15 PM

I'm in the same place right now, if you get some good ideas send them my way. I too am tired of the same meals over and over, but I am not a fancy chef and do not want or have time to slave over the stove 8 hours a day to make one meal.
    I need a live in cook!

Good luck!

• JamericanSpice April 5, 2010, 10:00 PM

Chicken is so easy and versatile really it's hard to get away from it.

My favorite dish to cook is Red Beans and Rice (cajun)

Others would be macaroni and cheese soup (lost my recipe book with that info)

Baked fish, potatoes and bisquits.

A casserole.

• Hannah Noel April 5, 2010, 6:33 PM

My mom's chicken tortilla soup is REALLY good. If you want I can email you the recipe, it's fairly easy (It was the first major meal I ever made and I didn't mess it up, so it can't be that hard!).

Also– have you been to the Onceamonthmom.com site? I recommend it if you don't like to cook every day!

• fallingintofavor April 5, 2010, 11:48 AM

I wish I could help you here. I'll be lurking in the background waiting to snag a few recipes for myself though 😀

• The Drama Mama April 5, 2010, 10:55 AM

I am a busy mom, too. I don't have time for pomp and circumstance before dinner. I want it good, I want it healthy, and I want it fast. I can't give you any one specific recipe because the blog is full of my favorites. I have a cooking blog in addition to my life blog. I also have a ton of friends who cook, and their blogs are listed in my sidebar. I hope you can find something to eat.

• bluewhitelife April 5, 2010, 8:59 AM

oops, I lied 🙂 I'm going to use the Rachael Ray recipe http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipes/take-five-ingredients-recipes/Parmesan-Crusted-Tilapia but probably add some bread crumbs to the mix 🙂

• bluewhitelife April 5, 2010, 8:23 AM

we're having parmesan crusted tilapia tonight 🙂 I think the recipe I use is on All Recipes.com but I'm not entirely sure (you could wing it, frankly). We'll pair that will some Rice Pilaf (out of the box…) and perhaps some broccoli or something. It's pretty simple though 🙂

• cheri April 5, 2010, 6:52 AM

oh, we have the same dilemna! when there isnt any time to cook, i saute 2 cans of tuna (the ones in water or oil is fine) to onions and garlic, then add some herbs, salt and pepper. at the last minute, i add chopped fresh tomatoes (or halved cherry tomatoes) and mix it with pasta…

• Kristine April 5, 2010, 2:15 AM

Happy Easter! (Yes, today is called 2nd Easter Day in Norway, public Holiday)
    I just became a follower of your blog. About dinner inspiration, – take a look at my blog posts with label "cooking tips" (see in my blog's sidebar for "labels") I think especially my Pasta Carbonara recipe will suit you.
    Link: http://babyfotomamma.blogspot.com/2010/02/pasta-carbonara.html
    I'm actually planning on posting a lot more yummy, healthy but easy to make recipies.
    Good luck!