What Easter Means to Me

When I was a little girl, Easter was a time that was filled with excitement and fun.  My brother and I would get our picture taken with the Easter Bunny and receive easter baskets from family and friends.  Easter egg hunts were always fun.

My parents usually had Good Friday off work and we were out of school.  Sometimes, we would travel out of town to my Grandparents’ home and meet up with family for a large get together.

Whenever we were in town, we would go to church on Easter Sunday. However, we couldn’t go to church on Easter Sunday looking just any ole kinda way!

My mom would take extra care to make sure that my brother and I looked just right. I would look like a little princess with my brand new Easter dress, freshly pressed hair, and lacy socks with patent leather shoes.  My brother would be decked out in a little suit and bow tie with shoes he didn’t want to wear.

I participated in a few Easter plays over the years. Church was always packed on Easter Sunday.

As I grew older in age and in my faith, I realized that Easter wasn’t so much about the easter egg hunts, pictures with the Easter Bunny, and easter baskets. Neither was it about family gatherings and dressing in your sunday best.

Now please don’t get me wrong.  Those things are okay and have their place.

But Easter is really about celebrating the fact that Jesus Christ paid the price for us on the cross and rose again. As I look back over my life, I realize that I have been truly blessed by many people.  However, nothing that anyone on this Earth has done for me, or will do in the future, is able to compare or even come close to what Jesus Christ did for me…and for you too!

Below is a video of one of my favorite songs to listen to, especially around Easter.  It’s called Don’t Cry by Kirk Franklin.  It’s a beautiful song that describes the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Enjoy and be blessed!

• Charris March 31, 2010, 8:59 PM

It's important to realize and celebrate the true meaning for easter as it is during christmas. I explained to my 9yr old yesterday the real meaning of the Easter/Ressurection. I didn't want him to think it was all about bunnies and eggs. I love that song by Kurt Franklin. It will draw the tears when your listening to it and the spirit grabs hold of you. You realize like you said no one has ever done for you what Jesus has. thanks for sharing.

• Syreena March 30, 2010, 7:33 PM

I LOVE this… I adore Easter and Christmas for all the "wrong" reasons. I still have a boat load of fun during those times of the year but I think it is important to teach my son about what Christ did for us and is to us ALL YEAR around. So I get to keep my easter bunnies and my christmas trees and worship Christ for all that he is to me everyday 🙂

• syreena March 30, 2010, 7:35 PM

I am not sure I linked to my post above correctly so I tried again 🙂

• KK March 30, 2010, 10:36 PM

So true, its too easy to get sucked into the commercial. I need to focus on Him this year!

• Jamie~ March 30, 2010, 7:02 PM

Amen, amen, AMEN! We were told from a very young age what Easter really is about and so we've been doing the same things with ours. They don't have an understanding of the Easter Bunny, but they sure do like the Easter egg hunts! Teaching and learning definitely start at home! (The main reason we homeschool.)

• Coupon Clippin' Daddy March 30, 2010, 3:05 PM

I LOVED your post! I'm so glad I found your blog on Friday Follow…I'm now a follower.

Have a GREAT day!

• Marice March 30, 2010, 2:52 PM

such a great post! this reminds us of what Easter really means.

• Christian Mommy Writer March 30, 2010, 1:42 AM

@Karen – Sunrise service! I haven't been to one of those in a while…

@Gamommy2two – I agree with you. The two holidays that are designed to celebrate Jesus have turned totally into something contrary to the original meaning.

@Fallingintofavor – I plan on teaching my son about the real meaning of Easter too. Teaching begins in the home.

@Kathryn – I can understand why your parents chose to do things that way.

@OldGeezer – I'll stop by and check out your blog. Glad you stopped by!

• The Old Geezer March 29, 2010, 9:09 PM

I found your profile on another blog I follow and I added myself to follow you.
    You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower if you want to.
    ronj1946 at gmail dot com

God Bless You, Ron

• Kathryn March 29, 2010, 7:20 PM

Great post! Growing up we were not allowed to do egg hunts or visit the Easter bunny or get Easter baskets. I know sounds crazy, and I don't think they are wrong, but I do have a good understanding of what Easter really is, and I am glad for that! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• fallingintofavor March 29, 2010, 10:11 AM

I love this post! It's been such a long journey with Easter or Resurrection for me. My parents didn't give it the emphasis on Jesus, I had to find that out on my own in my teens. I always saw a million people and got to wear a new dress. Now its so much more. I pray that I will be able to teach my children the real reason that we celebrate Easter from the beginning!

• Lindsay Blogs March 29, 2010, 6:53 AM

It's important to remember why we celebrate Easter. The true meaning tends to get lost in the commercialism of it all (Christmas, anyone?) and it's really sad when the children of this country don't have a clue why we celebrate.

• Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" March 29, 2010, 4:26 AM

What a special holiday Easter is! You certainly nailed the true meaning of Easter here. I remember having to wear stupid Easter hats when I was a kid as well as those black patent leather shoes too! Looking back at those pictures now though, I can see why my mom thought it was cute. We used to get up really early and go to the Easter sunrise service at church. I always enjoyed that and thought it was fun. It was a special service and it felt like I had a little bit of the wonder and excitement the women experienced when they were the first ones to see the empty tomb and realize Jesus had risen from the dead like he said.