Potty Training is for Geniuses

I’m STILL trying to potty train my son. Potty training adventures started back at the end of January with A Morning Surprise. Ever since that faithful day, I’ve been trying to get my son to understand that Big Boys boo-boo in the potty and not in their diapers or pull-ups.

I talked to a friend about my potty training woes after a month with no success. She gave me some tips and encouragement because I was certain that I would be changing diapers until he gets to kindergarten.

THE NEXT DAY, my husband and I were sitting in the living room when dear son got into that all too familiar pose that he does when he is about to boo-boo. I told my husband, “Go put him on the toilet, quick!” Dear Hubby ran and put our son on the toilet and guess what? Little Man pooped in the potty! Yay!

I was so excited that I gave Little Man a sticker AND a lollipop. I have no shame about bribing for good behavior. Our son knew that he did something good and he was proud of himself. I just knew that we would soon be free from the Huggies tax.

To my dismay, that day was a fluke because he hasn’t used the potty since. Whenever I would try to put Little Man on the toilet, he would cry and act as if he were scared. If I put him on the little potty, he wouldn’t potty. My dreams of diaper free days went down the toilet.

But guess what? My dreams were revitalized today when Little Man started saying, “Boo-Boo, Boo-Boo!” Dear hubby took our son to change him because Little Man always tells us after the fact. But Little Man hadn’t done anything yet. We ran him to the bathroom and dear hubby put him on the toilet. Little Man actually did a little something in the potty. Once again, I cheered and gave him a sticker and a lollipop. We really praised him.

After our second incident, I realized that our son potty trains better with my husband than he does with me. I told my husband that he is going to be the official potty trainer because it’s just not working out for me.

Three hours later, Little Man boo-booed in his diaper and didn’t even tell us like he normally does.

I just can’t figure it out.  This is harder than breaking Little Man from the bottle or from his pacifier.  As a matter of fact, I’ve had more success with getting him to go to sleep at night.  I guess this is my own individual mommy struggle, as every mommy has one.  But right now, I’m thinking that it takes a genius to potty train a child.

• Sarah Harmony-Powell March 24, 2010, 11:22 AM

I'm going through the same thing with my two year old daughter … my LAST one to be potty trained! She refuses to go in her pull up but also doesn't understand to run to the toilet so usually it ends up in her bed or on the floor … ahhh! Why?! Hope she will put two and two together soon. Thanks for sharing!

• Kelly March 20, 2010, 2:27 PM

Oh man…good luck to you and your little guy! Thanks for linking to POM's Connect MEme Monday, will be back up and running this Monday!

• MB March 19, 2010, 10:57 PM

By the way, I'm from Cross Driven. Thanks for commenting on my blog!

• cheri March 19, 2010, 11:52 PM

omg! i'm experiencing exactly the same thing! i have a 2yo boy and potty training is a daily struggle. lately, he says, "poo!" and crouches but refuses to go to the potty.

i'm also dreading that he'd go to kindergarten in diapers 🙁

• MB March 19, 2010, 10:56 PM

I don't know how old your son is, but mine is 3 1/2 and still has accidents. He only started going poo about 3 weeks ago. I just think some kids are super stubborn and want to do things on their own time line. You can be sure that they will graduate diapers before Kindergarten, right? Right?? LOL. I have 2 girls too and they were WAY easier to train!

• Simply Stacie March 19, 2010, 7:56 PM

Following you from the Friday Follow!

• Christian Mommy Writer March 19, 2010, 7:09 PM

@BMack – I'm not looking forward to that phase either, but maybe it will be easier since he will be more independent.

@Grace & @Parlin Mom – We'll get through this! 🙂

@unknown mami – He will be 3 years old soon. I probably should have introduced him to the potty earlier.

@April – Wow, 6 years old. I would have a fit. 🙂 Looks like you found something that worked well for your son.

@Amber – you bought up something I hadn't really thought about…pull ups at night after "successful" potty training

@Everyday Kathy – I had to laugh at that one!

• Respectfully Yours March 19, 2010, 5:34 PM

Hi there, popping by from Friday Blog Hop. I can tell you that there are no grown men wearing diapers, so eventually, he like all the other little boys will get the message. It does get better…LOL – good luck. I am now following.

• ~SHANNON~ March 19, 2010, 5:26 PM

I found you through Friday Follow, and I'm your newest shiny follower!

I hope you will over to my blog and follow too! 🙂

By the way, we are going to be starting potty training in the next few months- so I'll be coming back to see what you learned!

Shan

• Marice March 19, 2010, 4:51 PM

following u from FF! Feel free to visit me here:
    Life Can't Wait and Up Now and What's Next

• Everyday Kathy March 18, 2010, 7:18 PM

In the middle of it over here too… I thought I was smart bribing my girl with ballet school (she said she wanted to go) if she would stop using her pullups. Two weeks of a near perfect record and she declared "I don't want to go to ballet school anymore." and from that point on refuses to use the potty!!

Visiting from SITS
    Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

• Amber March 18, 2010, 5:22 PM

Don't feel bad or worry. BOys are so much harder to potty train than girls! And with encouragment (not pressure) they will get it!
    My daughter was completely potty trined by 3 at night too, but my boy JUST quit wearing pull-ups at night and he's almost 6. He took what felt like FOREVER to be done with diapers and he too wouldn't go poo in the potty for a long time!
    It will come, just be patient.
    He won't go to kindergarten in diapers. I have friends who have said their boys took forever too.
    So were not alone!

(oh and I did stickers and a cookie too)

Have Fun!

• **** April **** March 18, 2010, 4:59 PM

It is SO So hard! But it's one of those things. With my oldest son, he was in day care so it was really easy (for me) because they basically did all the hard work.

With boy #2, I bought him a gift and then said… when you potty like a big boy, you can have what's in this gift. The other thing I bought for him was a Fun Dip. Josh (my oldest) got to eat them and Drew (my youngest) wanted one SO BADLY! I purchased one of those, too. We had lots riding and I had a series of little "bribes." Until I was painting my living room. I hear the little foot steps running upstairs… then the toilet… then running… then he was running downstairs.. I heard a drawer… I heard the drawer where the scissors were. He came and was showing ME he was eating his Fun Dip. He said, "I poo poo'd in the potty. I'm a big boy" And he did it! It was kind of a no brainer from there on out. Ya just gotta wait til they get it man! When they're ready, they're ready. My cousin's son was almost 6 before he gave in.

I FULLY believe in bribery so that they can do something worthwhile at the same time realizing that it's really NOT going to kill them to grow out of that stage.

• Unknown Mami March 18, 2010, 3:49 PM

It will happen.

How old is he?

I started putting my daughter on the potty when she was 12 months old because I didn't want her to be afraid of it. It worked because she isn't afraid. We weren't really trying to potty train her, but we are starting to try more now. She does on occasion tell us that she wants to go and sometimes we catch her right before she's about to go.

I think that if I ever have another one I will start early too, just because it seems easier than having them be afraid.

I'm not sure that anyone has the answers. It does sound like you little one prefers the potty with your husband though.

• ParlinMom March 18, 2010, 3:22 PM

It is no easier with a girl. I have been putting my daughter on the potty for a year now and she still refuses to go #2 on the potty. She will tell me when she does but will not go. I think in a year she has done it about 3 times and that was when she watching TV while sitting there for a long time. She will however go #1 without a problem and now she wants to wear panties (Pull-Ups) like Mommy.

I too am tired of the diaper game but potty training is a process and it is wearing me thin.

Have a blessed day

• Kathryn March 18, 2010, 11:16 AM

Oh gracious! I hope it gets better! I am sure I will be dealing with the same stuff with my little man several years from now!

• Grace March 18, 2010, 9:21 AM

Ugh, I am joining the struggle with you. Just started some potty training with my son…he is way more interested in storing his duplos in his little potty than using it for what it's supposed to be for…pooping and peeing!

Hang in there!
    -Grace

• JDaniel4's Mom March 18, 2010, 6:00 AM

I am dreading this! Stopping from SITS!

• BMackWrites March 18, 2010, 5:51 AM

Girl, I remember the days! Our son was the hardest to train! LOL For some reason boys are harder to train than girls. But those lose heart it will happen, just be patient and remember that potty training is the next step to "Momma, don't kiss me in front of everybody!". Yep, TJ is in that phase now 🙁

• Christian Mommy Writer March 18, 2010, 12:29 AM

@MyArmyLife – Thanks for the tips and encouragement. It feels nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling over here!

@KK – I agree with you and was thinking the same thing when I was writing this post. Wouldn't it be awesome if children came out potty trained already? Wishful thinking…I know. 🙂

• KK March 18, 2010, 12:24 AM

I think dogs are much easier to potty train, personally. I realize that doesn't help you at all though.

• MsBabyPlan March 17, 2010, 5:31 PM

Well done to little Man!

• MyArmyLife March 17, 2010, 5:08 PM

I was laughing and nodding my head as I read this. Both my boys were nearly impossible to potty train. My husband and I both rank potty training at the TOP of what we dislike most about that age. Ugh. We also rewarded (with no shame) and eventually started a sticker chart where they would get a sticker for every day with no accidents. After __ number of days (3 at first, then 5, then 7), they got to choose a goody bag from the prize bucket. I had purchased some of their favorite little toys and put them in paper baggies with ribbons then placed those in a bucket. I always placed the bucket in their room (on a top shelf where they couldn't reach it) so they could see it daily. We always made a big deal when they got a sticker and a bigger deal when they got to get a prize. I don't know if this will help or not, but just know I'm feeling your pain … and he WON'T start Kindergarten in diapers; I promise! =)