The Blessing of Girls Night Out

Last Friday, I had a chance to hang out with fellow military spouses for a Girls Night Out.  It was so much fun!

Every month, we try to get together and hangout (without the kids) and let our hair down. It feels so good to have the opportunity to just be me and not have to worry about a little toddler tagging along reciting ABCs and naming colors.

Girls Night Out started after our husbands deployed.   We were overwhelmed Superwomen, missing our husbands, and desiring a time out from mommyhood.  One of the girls in our group had a birthday coming up, so I decided to plan a surprise party for her at a local restaurant.  We had a blast!  I can’t remember the last time I had laughed like that.  Girls Night Out was like medicine to our souls.

We as moms do ourselves a disservice when we don’t allow ourselves time to get away.  It not only affects us, but everyone in the family ends up losing out in the long run.

If you are burning the candle at both ends, do yourself and your family a favor and take a break.

What is your favorite thing to do when you just want to get away?

• Sahne February 28, 2010, 6:04 PM

Girl's nights out really do hit the spot! I love just getting together my closest friends and grabbing dinner at a fun restaurant!

• Dhana February 27, 2010, 12:33 PM

I agree! It was a blast! We really need to make that a regular thing 🙂

• KK February 26, 2010, 10:24 PM

Good for you, you need that!

• Kathryn February 26, 2010, 2:39 PM

That is so great that you were able to do that! We have a military wives group on facebook for this base, and we do things every so often, like last Tuesday we got together for pizza. And it's always nice to meet new ladies and have fun!

• Faith Imagined February 26, 2010, 2:07 PM

True words!

When I am taking a mommy-break I love to walk around Barnes & Noble and drink my Chai Tea Latte. I think it is about time for me to have a mommy-break!

• Vesper February 26, 2010, 6:17 AM

Oh those are definitely blessings! My recent one was bowling, which I won! I thought I was only good at Wii bowling….There is a definite difference, LOL.

• Ginny Marie February 26, 2010, 7:39 AM

I love going to my MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) group twice a month. Visiting with my friends is so much fun, plus MOPS provides childcare so I don't have to worry about who's going to watch the girls!

• Julie the Army Wife February 26, 2010, 6:27 AM

I love a girl's night out. Last weekend my friend and I got dinner and went to see a movie. I also love going to restaurants, especially ones I would never take my kids to.