Our FPU Budgeting Report Card

My husband and I have been doing the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University program for about two months now.  Here is an update on how things have been going.

• We now use cash for groceries and personal spending. Using cash has made us think a lot more before making a purchase. You immediately see that there is only $10 left after buying those $40 shoes. Not that I know personally….but it’s so easy to overspend with a debit card.  The swipe now and do the math later concept isn’t good for budgeting.
  • I realized that we spend a lot more on grocery than I thought.  I use coupons for many items and buy in bulk, but that doesn’t help with perishable items that we purchase on a regular basis, like bananas, bread, apples, and milk.  This results in multiple trips to the grocery store after we’ve already made our big grocery store purchase. We didn’t build our food budget with this in mind, so we have to redo it.
  • We’ve made three large payments on one of our debts and it feels so good!  Our first debt should be paid off in April.  We are really looking forward to being done with that one.
Part of the rules for being on this program is that you aren’t supposed to make large purchases while paying off debt.  Pray for me, cause I REALLY want an energy efficient front-loading washing machine and dryer.

Pedestals are a must to finish off my daydream.  Our washing machine has an occasional leak that no one can seem to find and I’m hoping that it will hold out until we get done paying off our debt…

Or maybe I can enter a drawing for a set and get lucky…you never know! 🙂

• Kelly February 26, 2010, 12:36 AM

Love that washer and dryer set! I wish! We'll be buying an avocado colored set from Craigslist. Wanna trade?

• Crystal February 26, 2010, 12:34 AM

We're doing FPU and it's not going so well. lol.

Stopping by from SITS.

• Coach Krystal February 25, 2010, 8:28 PM

We're doing FPU, too. Did you guys sign up to attend one of the local classes? My hubby went through one of the classes locally, and loved it. We got the lifetime membership, so he wants me to sign up for one, too. That way, both of us will have take it and be on the same page.

We ended up having to buy a dishwasher a few weeks ago, though. Our old one died and I was spending literally hours on my feet washing dishes every day. It got the point where my feet were hurting, my back was hurting, etc. Ugh. So we shelled out $550 cash for a new dishwasher, but got right back on track with Dave's steps after that.

Like you, we're about to pay off a debt too. Yaayyy!!!

• Kathryn February 25, 2010, 2:04 PM

"I am really liking your new look! 🙂
    I'm thankful for some of the same things you are thankful for too. It's always good to take time to be thankful."

Thanks so much! Yes, it is good, I need to do it more often! 🙂

Yes, the Dave Ramsey class is helping us so much as well! I noticed some parallels with us and what you said, especially with the grocery shopping! I am so glad we are starting this now, and getting a handle on out finances.

• Kristin February 25, 2010, 1:33 PM

I'm with you. I'm longing for shiny red front loaders too!

• KK February 25, 2010, 12:21 AM

Good luck, sounds like you are off to a good start! That washer and dryer are hard to resist though!

• tristan February 24, 2010, 6:53 AM

it sounds like you guys are doing a great job! that washer and dryer set are beautiful.

• bluewhitelife February 24, 2010, 7:08 AM

I think we have that washer and dryer set, haha. We're trying to figure out what we spend per month to better budget, but we're slowly but surely cutting our grocery bill down 🙂

• Julie the Army Wife February 24, 2010, 5:26 AM

We are going to have to buy our first washer and dryer here soon. As much as I love the one you posted we just can't afford them.

I think I want to star the cash system too.