Making Financial Cents in 2010

My husband went to a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University intro class while he was deployed.  He was so excited about the class that he decided to go through the 13 week program.

This is significant because my husband is a free spirit and I’m a nerd (according to Dave Ramsey).  In other words, my husband is the spender and I’m the saver.  I’ve been trying to get him on board for quite some time with becoming a little more frugal.

Anyway, my husband and I are now doing the program together and it has been wonderful at helping us to understand the world of finance.  We had a pretty decent understanding before, but this gives us a whole new way of thinking about things.

Who would have thought that our financial peace would come through information gained during a deployment?

We have set a new budget and if we follow it, we will be out of debt by the end of the year except for our home.  We’re so excited!!

There are a few things that we are going to do to make this goal a reality.

• We are going to use cash only for grocery, entertainment, hair care, and miscellaneous needs.  When the cash is gone, it’s gone. However, I refuse to use cash for gas. Pay at the pump is my friend. I haven’t paid cash for gas in forever. It is too much of a pain to get out, unbuckle my son, take him inside, wait in line, pay, come back out, put him back in the seat, and then pump gas.  Maybe I’ll consider it when they allow you to pay cash at the pump.  Wait a minute…why can’t we do that now?!  We can pay cash at self-checkouts.  Someone should look into that.  Anyway…
  • We are going to “Live Like No One Else”.  In other words, we are going to make temporary sacrifices now so that we can enjoy life in the not so distant future.  No extravagant purchases or expensive vacations will be made until we reach our goal.
  • We will have regular budget meetings for accountability.  We will pay bills together.
We can do this.  We are going to do this.  And our lives will be better for it.
What about you?  Do you have any financial goals for this year?

• Teresa @ ? TOO MANY HEARTBEATS ? February 18, 2010, 4:24 PM

Oh, I {heart} Dave! We have been following his program for a couple of years now. Thank goodness, the Lord put Dave on the radio and my husband heard him one day and became hooked!

My husband has definitely always been the free spirit and I've been the nerd. Thankfully, the Lord was able to use Dave to get my husband's attention when I could not. All my husband could hear when I spoke about money was his wife nagging! Now, he is much more 'nerdy' than he's ever been! :0)

We have been working very hard on our plan for quite a while. However, I have a very rare and serious medical condition that just keeps adding to our debt. It's like we take 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. :0( However, thanks to Dave, today we are completely debt free except for our primary mortgage on our home, our mortgage on our rental property (which pays for itself plus some each month) and my medical bills. We still have a long way to go but things are much, much brighter than they've ever been in the 19+ years we've been married!

My husband would love to go to work for Dave and become one of his counselors. Who knows? Maybe one day! He and our two teenage daughters visited Financial Peace Plaza when we were staying in Nashville for one of my doctors' appointments at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Dave gave our family the whole Financial Peace University Program on DVD! Dave is truly wonderful and so is his whole staff. I can't wait for our special day when we can call in and yell, "WE'RE DEBT FREE!!" That will be such an incredible day!

Thanks for sharing this!

Teresa

• www.thehusaileybunch.com February 9, 2010, 4:47 PM

Hi there! Just stopped by to let you know that I nominated you for an award! The Stiletto Award.

Come see:

Have a super Tuesday!!!
    Jill

• PJ February 7, 2010, 1:31 AM

Well, that does it . I'm to teh over tired stage. I looked all over your blog for the comment section except for scrolling down to the bottom of the comments. That doesn't even deserve the excuse of a "senior moment".LOL! Anyway, I love your blog. The only thing is on the financial side of things that's fantastic as long as both of you work at it and don't sneak around and buy things without the other knowing it. Haha! Sounds like I've tried this before? Yep. Hang in there and it will work as long as you work as a team. Needless to say our's didn't work. But, that's ok. We made it through the hard times with God's help (and He definitely helped)! Now we're doing ok with hubby's social security and VA Disability. My hubby was a Navy guy. My EX-hubby was a Navy guy and the First one was an Army GI. I've definitely been where you are. Enjoy while you can. If you go overseas, enjoy it. Go to different countries. My 1st was a stick-in-the-mud and when we went to Germany, we could have gone anywhere over there, him for free and me for 10 dollars. He wouldn't go. I wanted to see Spain and Austria so bad I could taste it, but he wouldn't go and I was to chicken to go by myself. What I'm trying to say, is saving is important, but so are the opportunities of a life time. Don't pass them up.

Come by my blog and chat a while.

Love & Prayers,

PJ

• Melinda February 6, 2010, 7:02 AM

Hi Tonya!
    Found you through a comment on Theta Mom!

We have had Dave Ramsey simulcasts at our church. I haven't been to one yet (finances scare me!) but I've heard he's great. Neither my husband or I are big spenders — we tend, however, to "fritter" away small amounts that add up to big amounts. Love your goals. I think that maybe I need to overcome my fear and start making some goals myself.

Excited to see you are a writer! I am a writer also! I've written for the healthcare markets mostly, but over the last couple of years been more and more involved in the Christian market. I just had an article accepted by In Touch, Charles Stanley's ministry mag. I was so excited!

Email me sometime and let me know what you write (melinda@parentingconfessions.com). I love connecting with other writers. Following now, also on Twitter.

• Ames February 6, 2010, 12:29 AM

My husband and I just completed the 13 week course and our lives are forever changed…already! Because of the course we realized that we were sinking too much money in our home and decided to sell it. It sold in 1 month. A definite God thing, in this economy! We too are using the envelope system. It is awesome! All the best to you in meeting your goals.

• tristan February 5, 2010, 11:05 AM

This is great! I read his book and followed it to pay off our credit cards! It's incredible and very practical. We did bend some of the rules but it still worked and it's possible!

• quietspirit February 5, 2010, 3:15 PM

I applaud your decisions.

• Kathryn February 5, 2010, 9:36 AM

That is great! I love Dave Ramsey, we are still going through the class right now, and are learning a lot! Hope everything works out! 🙂

• Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" February 5, 2010, 5:57 AM

Our church is offering this seminar, or has offered it. It's great for people in debt to help them out. Wonderful that your husband is on board with you in this endeavor!

• Julie the Army Wife February 5, 2010, 1:56 AM

Good for you guys! We have followed DR loosely for years now.

This year we hope to plan to save a lot more and pay down more debt. Hopefully by this time next year we will have NO credit card debt.