A Love Hate Relationship Finally Resolved

I recently decided that I wanted to change my look.

Goodbye glasses and hello contact lenses!

I used to wear contact lenses all through high school, college, and the first year of my marriage. Then one random day, I decided that I didn’t want to wear contacts anymore. They seemed to dry out all the time and I got tired of random eye irritation and annual eye infections.

But 5 years later, I realized that I miss my good ole contacts.

Why?  Because:

• I hate it when I go to get my hair done and I can’t see what’s going on. Someone always wants to talk to me when I have my glasses off. I’m very nearsighted and it’s hard to hold a conversation with a blurry spot.
  • It’s a pain when it rains to wear glasses. Raindrops just hang out and have a party on my glasses and I have to keep drying them. Then they smear…
  • Even something as simple as taking a shower or washing my hair can be a challenge because I can’t see what I’m doing.
  • Moving from warm to cold or cold to hot temperatures causes dense fog on my glasses with a visibility of two inches.

After mulling over the decision and talking with my husband, I decided to make a doctor’s appointment for a contact lens fitting. What should have been simple, has turned into something quite complex.

I was given a trial pair of contacts to wear on last Monday. After putting the lenses on, I noticed that it was kinda hard for me to read smaller print, but the Ophthalmologist told me that my previous eye doctor had my prescription too strong. He wanted me to try the lower prescription and see if my eyes would adjust.

Okay, I thought. I’ll be a good patient and try it.

After two days, I decided that it wasn’t working out for me, so I decided to call the office and ask for the prescription I had before. The doctor agreed and gave me another trial pair. When I put that pair on, I noticed that things were even more blurry than they were with my first pair!

Frustrated, I decided to wear my glasses until my follow-up appointment.

On Monday, I told the Ophthalmologist about my problems with the lenses. He just knew he could help me out. It was like a personal challenge for him.

He had me try on over 6 different pairs of contacts, none of which gave me the vision quality I was looking for. I became very discouraged and my eyeballs were getting irritated.

The Opthamologist finally told me that I need a certain prescription for my left eye that is not available.  Manufacturers just don’t make that strength and I would have to either go up or down.

I tried that last week and it didn’t work, I thought to myself…

He continued to tell me that he could get me close to 20/20 vision, but there still would be some blurriness. He said that I wouldn’t be able to see as well as I could see with my glasses, even though I would have better peripheral vision with contacts.

He gave me another pair to try out for a week, but I couldn’t get home quick enough to take those out. They weren’t comfortable as the first pair that I had and I just can’t get used to blurry vision.  On the drive home, I couldn’t read street signs until I got up on them. What is the point of wearing contacts if you still need reading glasses?

I guess I will continue to wear my trusty old glasses as my sole means of seeing the world a little more clearly.

So long contact lenses…

• KK February 5, 2010, 12:27 AM

When I was no longer able to wear contacts, I had Lasik and have loved being able to see when I wake up in the morning every day since!

• Crystal Escobar February 4, 2010, 11:06 PM

I know, ugh, I hate contacts, but also hate glasses lol. So I just don't wear either. My sight isn't too bad, so I can get away with it, but things do get more blurry for me at night. I usually wear my contacts if I'm going to a movie or going on a vacation. That way I can see all the pretty scenery a lot better 🙂

• Kathryn February 4, 2010, 3:51 PM

Yikes that stinks! I love contacts, and think they are the world's best invention! Sorry they did not work for you!

• Daisygirl February 4, 2010, 2:25 PM

Hi, I just starting following your blog, thanks so much for stopping by mine 😉
    All of that work and irritation to find out you might as well keep the glasses…ugh!
    I don't know what that is like because so far my eyes haven't had any issues. I was really stupid once though and thought it would be fun to change my eye color so I got some non prescription contacts in green…oh my gosh my eyes were so irritated, I don't know how people do it!
    Hope your having a good day.

• Alexis AKA MOM February 3, 2010, 9:09 PM

I've had the same thing, I thought I could put away my glasses and do contacts.

My eyeballs revolted and told me nope now way we don't like them we itch and we're not taking it anymore … LOL

Back to the glasses we go! Love your blog saw you a Shell's and thought I'd stop by and say hi 🙂

• An Imperfect New Momma February 3, 2010, 7:56 PM

Ugh. I know that problem all to well. I wear contacts and sometimes my glasses. But I have an extremely old prescription for my glasses (these glasses are so old my hubby makes fun of me when I wear them) so I've never had a problem switching between both. Thx for stopping by my blog! Followed you back too!

• Angelia February 3, 2010, 5:40 PM

I hate my glasses so I am opposite of you. I HAVE to wear contacts. I can't see as good and I do have a stigmatism in my eye so that it's not quite perfect but good enough.

One thing that happened last check up was I had to go to daily disposables. NONE of the others are comfortable. I wear for one day and toss. I LOVE THEM. They tried me on those 90 day extended wear….oh ewwww….hurt SO bad. My eyes water and I took them right out.

Not sure if they tried you on those? But thought I'd mention.

Thanks for entering my first (and possibly) only giveaway! 🙂

• Susie February 3, 2010, 5:32 PM

That's a bummer. What about lazer?

• Mommie Daze (Colleen) February 3, 2010, 5:05 PM

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I got contacts when was freshman in high school.No more glasses! I've had them since I was 9. I never went out in public with glasses on again until I got pregnant with my first. All of a sudden my contacts were dry and uncomfortable all the time. I've tried a couple times since to go back to the contacts, but I have the same problem. I just feel like I can't see as well. Oh, well. So I just got a pair of funky glasses, and decided that they give me "personality".

• MsBabyPlan February 3, 2010, 2:35 PM

I love SITs too, is nice to meet many nice people. I wear contacts for just special occassions, I love my glasses too much to care. But Enjoy them, now you can buy wonderful sunnies. 🙂

• Jenn February 3, 2010, 1:28 PM

That is so aggravating! I tried contacts last month for the first time… tired of always loosing my glasses! You have WAY more patience than I did! I tried 2 kinds and I was out the door!! 😉 Thank goodness I found my glasses again.. b/c I can't see the print on my new mini pc without them! ha ha! Thanks for visiting me today!

• Melissa @ Cellulite Investigation February 3, 2010, 12:51 PM

I would go crazy without my contacts!

• Amber February 3, 2010, 11:04 AM

Oh the joys of being "sight challenged". I have had a hard time with contacts, I can only wear them for a short time.

Sorry hope they can get something for you soon.

• Julie the Army Wife February 3, 2010, 8:29 AM

Man that is frustrating. I am in glasses and have been for a year because they did not do contact prescriptions here. I would love to have Lazik someday.