The Best Potato Soup Ever!

I was bored and slightly lonely on New Year’s Day, so I decided to cook.

As a matter of fact, that’s what I’ve been doing this whole deployment…cooking whenever I get bored.  It’s a wonder that I haven’t gained 20 pounds, because I have to eat all the food by myself!

I was talking to a lady who’s like another mom to me, Ms. Janice, and I happened to mention to her that I wanted to possibly cook a potato soup.  In case you aren’t familiar with Ms. Janice, I wrote a post about our cooking adventures called, “Getting My Paula Deen on”.

Anyway, Ms. Janice got me pumped up about cooking potato soup.  She can make me believe that I can cook anything.

I only needed to purchase one or two items from the grocery store, so I decided to go ahead and get those items and spend my afternoon cooking my first ever batch of potato soup.
I found a recipe on about.com for baked potato soup and figured that I would try it out.  Here is the link to the recipe: Baked Potato Soup

It turned out really well!  Here is a picture of my soup in the pot.

It was so tasty!  If you like potato soup, this recipe is definitely worth trying.  The only thing I would say is that if you don’t care much for cheese, reduce the amount you use in the recipe.

When is the last time you tried something new in the kitchen?  How did it turn out?
  • Persis Shah January 29, 2010, 1:27 AM

wowww looks yummm…i love potatoes and i can't wait to try this recipe out…thank you SITSa!

• Erica L. Butler January 11, 2010, 1:54 AM

Hello Tonya,

I'm just catching up with you on your blog after my recent move. I've been looking for some of the recipes that you have posted. Since the move, I've also been trying different recipes. I highly recommend the Neelys bacon and cheddar biscuit breakfast sandwich (visit foodnetwork.com for the recipe). I decided to make the biscuits for brunch on New Year's Day. Thanks and I look forward to trying those recipes!…especially the sweet potato casserole…my favorite!mmm

• AJ January 9, 2010, 11:15 PM

mmm, I have a recipe for Potato soup that is so yummy! My husband asks me to make it once a week… can't possibly be good for the waistline!

Visiting from Singing in the rain! 🙂

Have a great day!

• Kathryn January 9, 2010, 1:29 PM
  • God, My Savior Forever! January 8, 2010, 9:54 AM

Oh it looks so good..wish I could have some right now!!! You have inspired me! I used to cook a variety of dishes with new recipes from time to time but a get a lil tired with the pregnancy. I plan on making my husband a nice meal today:D Thanx for sharing!

Hugs, Susan

• Christian Mommy Writer January 7, 2010, 7:44 PM

@Kathryn – I saw that part too and was a little confused. So you know what I did? I took parts of the soup and stirred it together really well. It came out fine so I guess that works. 🙂

@Julie – Let me know how it turns out for you! 🙂

• Kathryn January 7, 2010, 11:51 AM

I was looking at the recipe and I was wondering what they meant by blend:

"Blend about half of the soup in batches until smooth. Add the blended soup back to the pot and add sour cream."

With a blender? lol I am still learning…

• Julie Gillies January 7, 2010, 11:49 AM

Yum! This soup looks fantastic. I'm a soup lover, so I'll try this recipe. It sounds like one my family will enjoy.

Happy New Year! And thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Kathryn January 7, 2010, 11:48 AM

Oh my it looks so delicious!! I have been looking for the perfect recipe for potato soup so I think I will try this! This cold weather is perfect for soup too! 🙂

As for my recipes, I have been trying some new ones lately too. I started a blog for them:

Anways thanks for posting, can't wait to try it!