Would You Use One of These?

I’m thinking about doing something that some would disapprove of…

I’m considering purchasing a child leash.

I know that there has been public disapproval of child leashes…excuse me…child safety harnesses.  But I have good reason to consider purchasing one.

Little Man and I will be doing more air travel with the holidays coming up.  He’s getting to be too tall for his stroller.  His legs almost drag the floor!

He’s very tall for his age.

The last time we flew, I transported him in a stroller, but it was a hassle.  First, I had to take him out of the stroller, fold it up, and put it through the security screener. Then, I had to wait for it at the gate every time we got off the plane.  On one leg of the flight, I had to send the gate check person back under the plane because for some reason, they didn’t see the stroller on the first go round.

The only nice thing about the stroller was that it helped me transport our son AND a carry-on bag in the basket below.  My back is still thanking me…

On our upcoming trip, we will be having a tight connection, and I won’t have time to wait for someone to unload gate-checked items.  Hopefully, we won’t be running like O.J. through the airport, but I’m wearing my running shoes just in case…

I’m not sure how our son would react to a child leash safety harness.  I’ve been reading reviews and some people are mentioning that their kids are trying to take them off.  But the majority say that their kids like them.

If I did buy one, it would be of an animal.

Question:
Have you or would you use a child leash safety harness for your child?
  • Luschka March 3, 2010, 2:12 AM

My personal and initial feeling on int is NO WAY! But in the end you have to do what's right for you and your child. I don't have to deal with a mobile child yet, so I might change my mind when my time comes. Its like most things to do with parenting – you have your firm beliefs and opinions, then you hit that phase and all your opinions on it change! Good luck!

• Anonymous October 29, 2009, 9:54 PM

Wow, you did get a lot of responses!

I bought one for my then-two-year-old son. I don't think they had the cute animal backpack ones–so it was the blue-strappy one. We were headed to Disney (kids 5, 2 & infant), and he was just not obeying (prone to darting away from us) and I was running out of time to train.

I called it his Buzz Lightyear belt, but he wansn't very excited about it. I think I made him wear it once or twice and then just had it handy. He did great…I just had to remindd him that if he didn't obey and stay near us, we would have to put it on. For us, that's what it was about.

Your situation with the airport connection & getting around in crowds totally makes it about safety. When I was expecting my third child & would walk around holding the hands of the other two, I'd joke that I was going to sprout another arm. I guess that's essentially what the harness does.

Happy ending: we re-used the harness one year for a costume–duct tape, an orange two-liter bottle, some tubing and he was a diver (small nemo toy attached).

Thanks for your family's service! God bless!

–Cristina

• Proverbs 27:19 October 28, 2009, 11:20 PM

Girl you don't need anybody's approval to do what you feel is best for you and the safety of YOUR child!

Many times we all speak out of ignorance of the situation. Some may use one and others may not, fine, all good. However, when the one who doesn't use one slanders the one who does, not fine!

I wouldn't use one cause "I'd be done yoked my kid out of frustration!"

JUST KIDDING!

In crowded public places such as an airport or bus/train station and so on, I would use it because let's be honest, our attention is not solely on our child. We've got to look for gates, go thru security and, in my case, keep up with two other kids!

But for smaller places such as the grocery store I'll use those moments as training times so that my kids can learn how to stay where I say stay and whatever.

smooches,
    Larie

• Amber October 28, 2009, 10:55 PM

I used one for my son. He did not like the stroller and it was more hassle. He loved it. In fact my 2 older kids play with it now and argue over who gets to wear it and who gets to hold the handle.
    I did get some weird looks but when all is said and done, he was never more than 3 feet from me.
    It made me feel a little better when we did outing like the county fair too. He had his "freedom" no stroller, and I had hold of him at all times.
    Use it or not, but let it be because you do or do not want to not what another says.

• Christian Mommy Writer October 28, 2009, 7:10 PM

@Lora – Thanks for stopping by today. I agree with you. Each case is different. I don't believe it should be used as a discipline tool, but for safety.

@Toni – Thanks for sharing your personal experience.

@Angela – I put that up a long time ago and I don't quite remember to be honest! 🙂 I agree with you. Child abductions have gotten out of control.

@Shauna – Thanks for sharing your view. I've never been lucky enough to catch someone with one of those cart things.

@Shelley – Thanks for your comments on the butterfly. I like it too! 😉 I appreciate your stopping by.

@Missy – I understand how you feel and that's why I would rather do a cute stuffed animal one versus one with a whole bunch of straps. Thanks for stopping by!

@Stephanie – I can't imagine how that mom felt at the store! I'm glad that story ended well. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.

@Gabrielle – Amen! If it keeps our kids safe, then it can't be that bad.

• Gabrielle October 28, 2009, 4:59 PM

First and foremost is our responsibility to keep our kids safe regardless of what the public thinks, so I say go for it and possibly inform some glaring person with love why you use a 'safety' harness.

• Missy October 28, 2009, 4:56 PM

I hate those things. IMO, they are nothing short of putting your child in the same category as a pet. I feel it completely degrades the child.

However, I would consider using one if I were going to be in a crowded area like an airport or Disneyland.

Other then that, for a trip to the grocery store or the mall, I see no use for them.

I have a very active child with lots of energy and I would never consider using one of those things with her in order to just "leash" her in.

Stopping by from SITS.

• Toni October 28, 2009, 12:40 PM

I used one with my daughter when she was younger (between 2-5 years), when we were out in places with large crowds. It gave me peace of mind as she had a tendency to get distracted and wander off. She didn't mind being tethered, unless she saw something she wanted to explore and for some reason, I didn't let her do so.

Do what you need to do for your own peace of mind, and don't worry about what other people think of you.

• Stephanie Faris October 28, 2009, 4:13 PM

Even when I was 15 and all my friends were complaining about these, I was sensible enough to say, "HEY, why don't you become a mom and try going to the mall with three kids, THEN come back and complain about the leashes?" I know there are still people against them but it's a safety thing. Just a month ago we were in the mall and some toddler was running around unattended. A security guard finally caught up with him and helped him find his mom but it took forever and I'm sure the mom was practically in tears by the time she found him.

• Shelley October 28, 2009, 3:52 PM

Oh and I love that purple butterfly on your header. Purple is my favorite color.

• Shelley October 28, 2009, 3:48 PM

Hi, stopping by from SITS. Here's my opinion for what it's worth. It is your child. YOURS!!! You need to do whatever you are the most comfortable with. It is not going to damage the child.
    In this crazy, hectic world we live in, it is almost necessary to "lash" our children to us so some wacko doesn't try to abduct them.
    Do what you need to do to provide security for your child and for you.
    Blessings to you and your family. Please thank your spouse for serving and protecting our country!!And thank you for the sacrifices that you make in order for him to do so.

• Angela October 28, 2009, 2:01 PM

I'm so glad I found your site! I found it on Blog Catalog.

Question: How did you get your writer's interruption logo up? I haven't been able to get mine to appear on my blog.

To answer your question, I probably would get one. I think it's to your own discretion. Know one knows your sitatution better than you. It's up to you to protect your child. If this thingy helps you do this without harming him then so be it. It looks odd, right now, when we see them sometimes, but it's only b/c their not seen often. With today child abductions being what they are I say, "Do what you have to do."

• Anonymous October 28, 2009, 12:46 PM

Hey,
    I understand all of the posts written. I've never used one. I guess the one advantage to being small is being able to use the stroller longer. My children could be 3 years old and still look 2 so I was able to put them in a stroller and keep it moving. 🙂 I did have to travel a few times pregnant w/ a toddler and if I didn't use the stroller I would just hold their hand. And I've traveled in busy airports as well. Also, thankfully the big airports I've traveled in had the guy with the trolley (whatever its called) that would drive you to your gate. I know that isn't always feasible w/ departure times. And since my boys are competitive we would make it a race. I would say hold my hand and we're going to run fast to get to our destination. Granted their "run" is a fast trot, but it works because they want to beat me. Everybody does what they feel is best for their children. And when I had my first child 9 1/2 years ago I don't know if those things were out. Well not as advertised as they are today maybe. Shauna

• Christian Mommy Writer October 28, 2009, 10:30 AM

@ Lora- I 100% agree with you. It's all about keeping your child safe.

@Jocelyn-that was funny about what that little kid said. I love how children think!

• Jocelyn Green October 28, 2009, 9:58 AM

We used a child harness on our two-year-old when we were at a very crowded zoo and I was VERY pregnant, which meant I simply couldn't chase after her very well. It was a little peace of mind. I did hear one little boy ask his dad, "Are they walking a girl???" and I laughed at that. We didn't use it often, just at really crowded places a few times. It was a safety issue– it's so easy for other people to get between you and your child if you're not using a stroller. And she was fine with it. If you decide to go for it, it might help to introduce it to your son in advance and have him practice wearing it in the house just to get comfortable with it. Our daughter never tried to take hers off, she liked it. 🙂

• Lora October 28, 2009, 9:11 AM

I see both sides, and honestly think it's circumstantial–both for the child in question and the situation. In yours, I'd say go for it. I have very good friends who used it for their very well-behaved little girl who stayed close by their side when they were out–but they used it for safety in large crowds, which are all over this city. I don't think it's a matter of training your child, I think it's a matter of safety. When your arms are full of bags or whatever…you simply don't have the ability to grab your child quickly

• Christian Mommy Writer October 28, 2009, 8:59 AM

@Rettakat – Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure why people feel the right to say whatever they want to say about how people parent their kids. We should support each other as parents, not try to tear each other down.

Your mom was busy! 🙂 God bless her.

@anon – Thanks for sharing your view. Regarding your question on whether it would help me get to my connecting flight faster…Yes. I think it would help me and here is why. I won't have to wait for it at gate check. I won't have to wait on the handicapped stall to pee. It will also help my back from lifting and pulling.

Airports that I travel through are very busy with people everywhere. It will be worse during the holidays. Even if he doesn't run off, it is possible for us to get separated and I don't want to take that chance because of the consequences not only for him, but me as well.

• Anonymous October 28, 2009, 7:47 AM

I have NEVER used the child leash. And I never thought of it. I have 3boys. The older 2 are 2 years apart. I may have a different point of view, but I believe in teaching them and if they don't obey there are consequences for their actions. That is just my humble opinion. I can take them anywhere and they know to stay w/ mommy. I believe it starts at a young age. And just a thought, do you think using it will help you get to your connecting flight faster?

• Rettakat October 28, 2009, 4:10 AM

I can tell you what I think from the perspective of having BEEN the child of a Mommy who used them. 🙂

My Mom had 3 kids, one year a part. One to carry because still a baby who couldn't walk yet; one to carry because she (me) was in braces and could not walk; and one toddler boy bursting with energy, who just wanted to RUN everywhere!

I look at it as an act of LOVE. She loved us enough to put up with the verbal criticism from rude total strangers, in order to protect us from harm. Oh, how I miss her now.

If you do it, firmly establish in your heart your LOVE for your little blessing, and let the "comments" roll off your back like water off a ducks back. 🙂
    Have a great trip,