To Trick or Not to Treat…That is the Question

It’s Halloween time!

I was reminded of it early this month when my neighbors started putting up fake spiders and cobwebs on their porches.  One of my neighbors even decorated their home to the extent that one would decorate for Christmas. She’s really in the Halloween spirit.

One of my earliest memories of trick-or-treating was when I was about 8 or 9 years old.  It was Halloween and I didn’t have a costume.  Of course, I was distressed about it.  Everyone should have a costume for Halloween, right?

My mom, being the creative lady that she is, took an old sheet, threw it over me, cut out some eyes so I could see, and told me I was a ghost.

And guess what?

I was actually happy with my homemade costume.

The practice of going trick-or-treating can be controversial.  Some parents don’t allow their children to go trick-or-treating for various religious reasons.  Others don’t mind.

Let me share with you what some of my previous churches did for Halloween.

One church had their children dress up like biblical characters.  Everyone had to guess who they were.  The best costume got a prize.

Another church I attended had members from the church sign up to provide candy for the kids as they visited their home.  On Halloween, they loaded up the church vans and drove from house to house, trick-or-treating at the members’ homes.  They ended the night with a bonfire at one of the member’s home.  It sounded like it was lots of fun.

Our son is 2 years old and he doesn’t know about Halloween.  However, I know that one day, this will become a topic of discussion for our family.

Questions:
What’s your philosophy on children trick-or-treating?
Do you let your child go door to door trick-or-treating?
Do you believe that Halloween goes against your religious convictions?
  • Coach Krystal October 24, 2009, 5:10 PM

I echo many of Gabrielle's sentiments. We don't celebrate Halloween, and we've actually discussed going out to a restaurant this year on Halloween so that our kids (2 and 4 years old) don't have to see the scary costumes. They're old enough to be frightened by that stuff now, and we don't want them exposed to it.

But again, like Gabrielle, we don't discuss this much with others. They're perfectly capable of hearing from the Lord, should He move on them in this area. It's very important to us that we don't violate our love walk…

• Tiffany October 23, 2009, 4:56 PM

I come from a Christian home and we were allowed to go trick or treating. For us, it was a time to get dressed up and get candy. I will take my kids TOT with our playgroup. My daughter is 2 and my son 3 months. For me, it's all in good fun- nothing more, nothing less.

ps- new follower!

• Christian Mommy Writer October 23, 2009, 8:47 PM

Hi Amber, Deborah Ann, & Tiffany,

Thanks for sharing your input!

@Amber – I always had to go with a parent too. When I was older, I took my younger brother.
    @Deborah Ann – I stopped by your blog today. Thanks for the tips!
    @Tiffany – Thanks for the follow! I follow you now too.

• Deborah Ann October 23, 2009, 9:52 AM

I totally agree with Gabrielle. We don't participate, but we also don't judge those who do. Each person should listen to the Lord as to what He would have them do.

I recently read a book called 'The Seven Mountain Prophecy' where the author said Hurricane Katrina was God's judgment in New Orleans because of Voodoo and Mardi Gras. Now I'm not saying I agree with that or not, I really don't know. But it made me rethink trick or treating, wondering what God thinks of all this.

Hey, stop by my blog once more, and read the suggestions for blog comments. I learned some things I wish I had known sooner!

blessings!

• Amber October 23, 2009, 12:50 AM

I came from a Christian / Catholic home. Mom Christian, Dad Catholic.
    Growimg up we were allowed to dress up and go Trick-or-Treating but always with a parent. Our costumes were not allowed to be anything "evil". No witches, devils or things of that nature. Looking back I feel my parents did a good job. We were able to enjoy the holiday with the other kids but were taught the "good" ways to enjoy it. It was never thought of anything more than kids dressing up and getting candy, in our house. So far I have done the same with my kids, and they seem to be ok, so far.

• Christian Mommy Writer October 22, 2009, 9:31 PM

Hi KK and Gabrielle,

Thanks for stopping by today! I personally prefer a church harvest service kind of thing versus walking the streets going to stranger's homes. It's more of a controlled and safe environment.

Gabrielle, thanks for sharing your story. It was very helpful! 🙂

• Gabrielle October 22, 2009, 3:17 PM

You are right it's a tough subject! I grew up doing it but was usually terrified at the older kids who were always waiting to scare everyone. Eventually I embraced the horror thing and watched, read and did everything I could to frighten myself. In my early 20's I became a Christian, now 20 years later with 4 ids of my own, we have did the church harvest festivals etc. We went T or Ting once when my kids just knew they were missing something, but found they enjoyed the more peaceful harvest oriented functions. Now they are much older and really don't care one way or the other what the other kids are doing. When we discussed the topic several years ago, we all prayed about it and our second son simply asked, "does Halloween glorify God?" My husband replied, "no". Then he stated, "then I guess we shouldn't do it." We have tried really hard to not promote legalism or judgmental ways, therefore we rarely bring up these topics among friends who 'celebrate' Halloween or Easter in it's Pagan origins, and really just try to do what God commands – to love people! Most of our Christian friends go trick or treating and they know that we don't, we love one another all the same. :)Sorry for the small novel, but I would say to pray about it and do what God leads you to do for your family.

• KK October 22, 2009, 12:10 AM

I don't have kids, but my parents let us and we all turned out ok!