My Son’s Magic Trick

My two-year-old son is a great helper. He helps without any thought of getting allowance or extra privileges. I guess I better enjoy it while it lasts.

His daily chores include:

• Closing any door that I open (dishwasher, closet door, bathroom door, etc.)
  • Pushing the clothes into the dryer for me (and closing the dryer door).
  • Turning on the lights in the house when we come home at night.

Now don’t report me to the child labor officials! 🙂 Besides, my son actually enjoys it. After he does his “chores”, he shouts, “Yay!!!”

Once he shouts “yay”, I have to say “yay” too. If I don’t, he keeps saying it, over and over again. I guess my approval and acceptance is his form of payment.

Yesterday morning proved to be no different. I took some clothes out of the hamper to take to the laundry room. As usual, my shadow was right behind me, saying ABCs and playing with his blocks.

On the way to the laundry room, I dropped a pair of my husband’s underwear on the floor. I asked my son to pick the underwear up and bring them to the laundry room.

He looked at me strange at first, almost as if to say, “I’m not picking up those dirty underwear!”

I said to him again, pointing at the underwear, “Pick those up for me.”

I turned around and went to the laundry room. I put down the clothes and turned around to get my other load of clothes when I saw my son coming out of my bedroom, heading towards his room. But he didn’t have the underwear.

I looked in the room where I dropped the underwear and didn’t see them.

I decided to ask my son about the underwear.

Me: Where are the underwear?
Son: (gives mommy a blank stare)
Me: Where did you put the underwear?
Son: (starts grinning)

“Oh boy,” I thought to myself.

I searched the:

• Bedroom – under the bed, behind the TV, behind the dresser.
  • Bathroom – in the hamper, behind the hamper, in the trash can.
  • Living Room – under the chairs, behind the TV, in the toybox
  • Son’s Bedroom – in the bed, under the bed, in his dresser drawers…

12 hours later… I still haven’t found the underwear. Oh well. They’ll show up some day.

I just hope it’s not with an audience of friends. We’d never live that one down!

• mom2kmjx2 January 30, 2010, 5:58 PM

My kids' started out with tiny chores and now The Big One does laundry. More so because I'm afraid to go down to the basement. Have you found the Underware yet?

• Katherine January 29, 2010, 9:12 PM

It's been 5 months any sign of them?

• Kimm at Reinvented January 29, 2010, 8:49 PM

Yikes, I hope they didn't show up at an awkward moment! Happy SITS day!

• samsstuff January 29, 2010, 8:38 PM

Funny story! Did they ever turn up (hopefully not at an inopportune moment)?
    Happy SITS feature day!

• Kelly Jo @Typing One Handed January 29, 2010, 1:36 PM

Happy SITS day!'Your son is ADOREABLE!!! And I love your story, it soundsl ike something that would happen at my house!

• Joy January 29, 2010, 3:31 PM

LOL!! Great story. Wonder if will turn up.

p.s. he is an adorable little scamp!

Congrats on your SITS day!

• Kearsie January 29, 2010, 8:44 AM

Wow. One day, you'll move and find them in some random place, like the bottom of the toy box or something.

• Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds January 29, 2010, 8:41 AM

It's so great your son loves to help out. My daughter takes great pride in helping put things away. Child labor, HA!

I hope they weren't anyone's favorite underwear!

• Mommie Daze (Colleen) January 29, 2010, 1:39 PM

Ha! I find stuff all over the house in the strangest places. Kids are good for that kind of thing. Someday you'll just be going about your normal routine, and happen upon those underwear.

• Lourie January 29, 2010, 11:51 AM

My4 year old son has a "hiding" spot too. But, I have the advantage of knowing where said hiding spot is. LOL. One day you will come across them, and say, "what the heck are these doing here!?" LOL Great story.

Happy SITS day!

• Anita January 29, 2010, 10:34 AM

Too funny!! I remember having a little shadow. Now my puppy follows me.
    Your son is so beautiful!

• Jenn Erickson January 29, 2010, 9:18 AM

It's so nice to have a little helper ~ even when the occasional piece o' delicate laundry goes missing. My youngest daughter, "Ying", is five and will start washing dishes, folding laundry, and cleaning up messes without being asked. She's a natural born helper. My oldest, "Yang", is eight and has an uncanny knack of making messes and leaving disorder and chaos wherever she goes.

• leigh January 29, 2010, 9:18 AM

So cute! Good luck finding them.

Happy SITS day!

• Randa @ The Bewitchin' Kitchen January 29, 2010, 8:47 AM

I really like the closing any door you open chore…one day I will have to use that. It will keep me from losing my mind!

• ConnieFoggles January 29, 2010, 8:47 AM

I love that he smiled when you asked him where they were 🙂

• Kristin January 29, 2010, 8:22 AM

My son walked out with a pair of mine from the hamper when we had family over. Ever the helper. Ah ha ha

• Marie January 29, 2010, 8:14 AM

Oh my gosh that is hysterical that you still haven't found them. 🙂

What a great little helper…My hubby still needs praise when he does a house chore, too funny, I guess they never grow out of that. 😉

• Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity January 29, 2010, 8:12 AM

Now you know that those underwear will appear when you have company! It's a given! 🙂 One time our little one moved our keys to the house. We didn't find them for 3 weeks. They were in the oven warming drawer.

• Teresha@Marlie and Me January 29, 2010, 8:05 AM

he's such a handsome little helper! I bet the underwear is having a blast on vacation. maybe it will send a post card, LOL!

• Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) January 29, 2010, 7:54 AM

Oh that's way too funny! It's always fun to have a toddler 'help', because they want to and it seems to make them happy! 😉 You'll have to let us know if the missing underwear ever shows up! 😉

Happy SITS Day! 🙂

• Shana January 29, 2010, 7:50 AM

I'm thinking those undies might have gotten flushed away. Hoping you find them!

• Angelia January 29, 2010, 7:43 AM

That's FUNNY! Happy SITS day!

• Herself January 29, 2010, 7:39 AM

He's adorable! Stopping by from SITS!

• lifewithsweetpeaches January 29, 2010, 7:23 AM

Too funny! There's no telling when, or where, you'll find the underwear…

Happy SITS day!

• Bethany January 29, 2010, 7:11 AM

Did you check in the bed covers??? Happy SITS Day!

• Judy January 29, 2010, 6:54 AM

Hahahaha! I would get on his eye level and look 360 from there. Or just look under the bed….isn't that where everything that is missing goes?

• Melissa @ Cellulite Investigation January 29, 2010, 6:40 AM

sounds like you've got a mischief maker on your hands. I wonder where he gets THAT from???

• Skooks January 29, 2010, 12:26 AM

Toddlers are so goofy. My DD does weird stuff like this all the time. You are not alone!

• Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" January 29, 2010, 5:02 AM

I'd be going nuts looking for that underwear and the toddler would have to stay put until either he told me where he put them or I found them, whichever came first!

I like the chores you have him do–I'm sure having him help is a great way to keep an eye on the little rascal.

Congrats on your SITS day!

• Mary at Deep South Dish January 29, 2010, 1:41 AM

Oh I recognize this story – I've been here before!

Happy SITS Day!

• Just Lisa January 28, 2010, 11:47 PM

My daughter has chores, too! Her main duty includes petting the cat in the morning and giving me hugs at nights. I'm thinking of even stepping it up to "put away one toy" or even "dress self."

• tattytiara January 28, 2010, 11:46 PM

So two year olds have discovered that secret portal socks pass through to another dimension, eh? I think we're all in trouble now!

• Mary at Deep South Dish September 1, 2009, 11:54 AM

Hi! Popping over from SITS Roll Call to visit.

Oh LOL there is no telling WHERE those underwear went! Let's just hope they didn't get flushed. Yikes!

Have a great week!

• Proverbs 27:19 September 1, 2009, 5:41 AM

This is classic!!! I love the picture as well, it goes great with the description!

Girl I know about those "child labor laws," my auntie claims she will call them on Anton and I for "slaving" our kids!

smooches,
    Larie

• MOMSWEB September 1, 2009, 3:17 AM

You're right, enjoy your son's helpful attitude now. I remember these days and I was so proud! What happened? Oh yea, they grew up (lol). They're still helpful, but now I have to request help.

Please let us know where the underwear are when you find them. Tooo funny!

Thanks for your comment about the desserts (smile). I'll have to send you something one day.

• Amber September 1, 2009, 12:10 AM

No calls to the labor board. My kids have chores too. And like your son they are proud of a job well done.

To funny about the underwear. Good luck!