The Real Housewives…Really?

What is a real housewife?

I asked my husband this question yesterday and he got nervous.I guess he figured that if he answered the question the wrong way, he’d be in trouble.

I finally got him to say that he felt that a housewife was someone who maintained the home and took care of their children.

I’ve been thinking about this after reflecting on a series of shows by Bravo called, The Real Housewives of (enter name of location). There are several locations featured: New York, Orange County, New Jersey, and Atlanta.

On these shows, there are about 4-5 women that are “wealthy” and it shows how they live life from day to day. I haven’t seen all of the different shows, but I have been checking out one of them in particular.

The Real Housewives series by Bravo mainly depicts these women as being socialites that keep drama going, and constantly flaunt their money around.

In my personal opinion, the lives that are depicted on the TV shows do not reflect the average housewife. They should really consider changing the name of the series.

How about, “The Real Socialites”?

Or how about, “The Real Drama Queens”?

The only thing close to showing a real housewife on TV that I can think of right now is the Duggar Family with their “18 Kids and Counting” TV show on TLC. In case you don’t know, the Duggar family is a Christian family that lives debt free with 18 kids. Definitely worthy of a reality show and many of us can learn from them and their frugality.

Questions:

What do you think a real housewife is?

Do you think that these shows adequately represent housewives?

• Young Wife January 29, 2010, 9:03 AM

I love 18 Kids and Counting. I don't agree with all of the Duggar's beliefs, but it's so refreshing to see good moral values on TV. Stopping by from SITS.

• mommy4life August 15, 2009, 9:41 PM

I am proud to be the housewife that defies the stereotypes created by these horrible TV shows. It all started with Desperate Housewives and it's popularity and then Bravo saw a way to create this "reality" show. I think it should be renamed "anti-reality"! I do watch the Duggars, when I have time, mesmerized by how they manage their household and children!

• MOMSWEB August 15, 2009, 9:11 AM

I personally HATE the word Housewife with a deep passion. What the heck is housewife? Sounds like I'm chained, house broken, and enslaved. I prefer the term Homekeeper. Oops..you got me stirred up there for a minute (lol).

• Aracely August 13, 2009, 1:24 PM

I don't watch the shows either but seeing the commercials was enough. I don't think those shows depict real housewives at all. The Duggars show is a good one though!!

A real housewife as my husband told me is being a helper. Being a supporter and with my husband being in the military, I try to be a supporter and encourager for him. Not a socialite that goes out and forgets her house.

• Becky August 13, 2009, 12:03 PM

First thing first – I'm not a housewife, I work full time (and then some) but due to my husband's army training/schools for the past 6 months and the 12-14 month deployment he left for Tuesday morning – I do all the housework, bills, day to day sutff and then some as well. My life doesn't resemble ANYTHING that these shows do. Not that I've watched them – thankfully I haven't. The commercials are enough usually to sway me – materialistic, greedy, selfish – that's what I think of when I see the commercials or read about them. These woman aren't good examples of what real life is. I have a few friends that are stay at home moms (housewives) and they scramble day in and day out. Clothing the kids, nursing the baby, keeping things clean, making dinner, keeping kiddos occupied because we all know how bored toddlers can get…there are days when they barely have time to brush their teeth – forget taking a shower! These women works their butts off – they don't walk around in designer clothes and "lunch w/the ladies" – these shows do a disservice to everyone that stays at home. Thanks for listening to my rant!

• Christian Mommy Writer August 13, 2009, 3:16 PM

@Ms. Wanda – Yeah, Lisa and her husband just lost their home but they have a new one now that is paid for. Maybe they should have done that from the beginning. Not trying to pass judgment though. You live and learn.

@Proverbs 27:19 – you are right. A housewife is a wife. Only two of them are married out of 5 on the show you are referring to. The one that was married and positive got kicked off the show because she was "boring."

@GMSF- it would be nice to have some of that money that they throw away on frivolous things wouldn't it? 🙂 You are right about putting too much emphasis on worldly things.

@Stina Rose – They definitely give the wrong impression. I like what you said about our homes being a haven…

@Becky – I agree wholeheartedly with you about these shows doing a disservice to stay at home moms.

@A.J. – Nice to meet you. It's nice to "meet" other military wives.

• Stina Rose August 13, 2009, 10:54 AM

Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. You're right about the Hollywood rendition of a housewife. It really gives the wrong impression. I am happy to be a housewife, using the gifts that God has given me to make my home a haven for my family.

• God, My Savior Forever! August 13, 2009, 10:06 AM

Great post..I love how you make people think…

I haven't really seen TRHW shows but it doesn't take too long to figure it out on the commercials that this is just another show that reveals the world we live in today..a world ruled by society, where anything goes, you do what pleases you, what makes you happy even if it means hurting others, it's a cold, cruel, godless world,it's a self-seeking world:( This shows doesn't even come close to who are REAL housewife is..not even close. I am a housewife and your husband is right we take care of our home and look after the kids. LOL I kinda wish I had the money those wives have on the show….I'd take a much needed vacation with my hubby lol. The world is after rishes, fame, pleasure..they are running the worng race:( We are suppose to run the race to eternity…which is very selfless and seeks to honor and audience of ONE!

The Duggars…now that's a show! They are such a blessed family because they live to honor God!

• Tabitha August 13, 2009, 10:01 AM

I agree, but I think they shouldn't even be on the air. I watch the New Jersey series and I found myself very tense each time.

They in NO WAY depict what a true housewife is.

• Proverbs 27:19 August 13, 2009, 8:40 AM

I was just expressing my disapproval of this show over the weekend while at my parent's house.

My mother, sister, and brother watch these shows "faithfully." Well this was the first time I'd had the chance to see it and I was UPSET that they bore the title housewives. Only two of them are even married!!!

A housewife is the helpmeet to the man God gave her to. She manages the home with the ability God gave her. She is hospitable. A housewife is happy at home. Now, she does have other interests, however, she does not allow them to change her attitude towards the privelage to bare the title of Housewife.

Overall, a housewife is first of a WIFE!!! 🙂

I guess you can tell that I am irritated by this show and have decided not to watch it anymore.

smooches,
    Larie

• Ms. Wanda August 13, 2009, 6:44 AM

Good Morning:) Yes, your right they should change the names of these shows. I have caught snippets of them and there all pretty much the same. Our 20 year old just told us that the HW of ATL's Lisa is losing her house to foreclosure, however her and her husband bought something a little smaller on 10 acres, I just don't feel sorry;)
    These shows don't represent me at all. I wish they would do a show about real housewives that make less then 50k. They could film me negotiating with the Electric man to keep my lights on or screaming at the cable company about why they turned my cable off!!!

Have a great Day:)