Talk to the Hand!

Yesterday after dinner, I found a puppet lying on the floor by my two year old son’s toy box. It was one of the puppets that my mom sent me from my Aunt Doll’s teaching supplies.

I picked the puppet up and put it on my hand. Then, I called my son over and started talking to him through the puppet.

Immediately, my son started grinning and his eyes lit up.

The wonderful thing is that my son started repeating everything that I said through the puppet!

Me: Bye, Bye! (waving bye with the puppets arm)
Son: Bye, Bye! Bye, Bye! (waves bye, bye at the puppet)
Me: Hi! (waving hello with puppets arm)
Son: Hi!

This is a very big deal! If I would have known that all it takes is a little puppet interaction, I would have used a puppet 12 months ago. Oh well. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Thank God for breakthrough!
  • MOMSWEB September 1, 2009, 3:20 AM

This story is just as cute as he is!

• Julie Gillies August 30, 2009, 2:49 PM

What a sweet story. Now you've got a new tool in your belt and can pull it out when you need it!

Enjoy these moments with your precious little boy. Time truly does fly past!

• Amber August 30, 2009, 11:15 AM

Congrats!!
    It is so much fun to see our children enjoying something and learning from it. We all find things later that we could have used sooner, but then it wouldn't be as exciting.
    Puppets are fun! My 18 month old loves his Blues Clues puppet.
    Have a great week.
    Amber

• SPEAKING FROM THE PEW August 28, 2009, 9:29 PM

oh darlin, clearly this is your first child, b/c after listening to my 7 yr old yap his jaws 24/7, i am in no hurry to have my baby talking too!

but … i know! congrats!

• Christian Mommy Writer August 28, 2009, 9:54 PM

@TVR – I was so excited, but I was trying to hold it in because I was still being Mr. Bear. 🙂

@Proverbs 27:19 – When he sees other kids, he gets really excited and does his babble talk. I haven't noticed him repeating words they use though.

@SFTC – Yeah, he's my first. 🙂 LOL

• Proverbs 27:19 August 28, 2009, 12:04 PM

That is huge! Have you noticed if he will repeat what other kids say as well, (granted that it's nice things!).

I noticed that our oldest talked the most when she was around kids about 2-3 years older than her.

smooches,
    Larie

• Teresa August 28, 2009, 8:19 AM

Very delightful…I love that! Of course my kids are older, but I love how they can be ministered to the most simple things, yet have great impact. The impact is most to the one teaching…isn't it? Thank you for sharing! I love it!