The Price of Adultery

Over the past few months, the news has been flooded with stories about people committing adultery. It’s really sad and I hope it’s not an indicator of the way our society is headed.

First, you had Jon and Kate plus 8 and their drama.

Then, we had Gov. Mark Sanford from South Carolina, who had a mistress in Argentina. He was out on a secret rendezvous with her on Father’s Day while his wife and kids were at home.

I guess that was his Father’s Day present to himself…

After that, famed football player Steve McNair was found shot to death. The police are saying that his 20-year-old girlfriend Sahel Kazemi shot and killed him, then killed herself. He was married with four kids.

What is going on here? Why are so many people cheating on their spouses?

Cheating is the easy way out. It is easier to say yes to your flesh than to maintain good morals.

Cheating comes with consequences. What you do in the dark will come to the light and many times, it’s not pretty when it comes out!

Many people are calling for Gov. Sanford’s resignation. His political career is on the rocks. His marriage is in danger and his children have to deal with the fallout of his bad choices.

The Steve McNair situation is as ugly as it gets. He was once remembered for being a great football player, but now, he will be remembered as the man who was cheating on his wife and was murdered by his girlfriend.

I think it is safe to assume that this isn’t the legacy he wanted to leave for his family and friends.

I really feel for McNair’s wife and children. There are reports that his wife didn’t know he had a girlfriend on the side.

In addition, Nashville police have made statements that Kazemi suspected McNair of cheating on her with another woman. This was devastating to her because she had believed that he was going to leave his wife for her!

News Flash#1…If a man is cheating on his wife with you, then watch out!There is a 99.9% chance that he is going to do the same thing to you.

News Flash#2…He’s not going to leave his wife. You are just a cheap thrill.

We as women have to raise our standards and not be content with playing second fiddle. Married men are off limits. You deserve better than to share a man with anyone!

We really need to get back to the basics.

When God created Adam, he saw that he needed a suitable helpmeet. So what did he do? He created Eve. Not Eve and another woman on the side for Adam. God only created ONE woman.

Think about what happened when David committed adultery with Bathsheba. He knew that Bathsheba was married, but he didn’t care. He still slept with her.

When she got pregnant, he tried to cover his tracks and sent her husband Uriah out to the heat of the battle with the intent of him getting killed. God wasn’t pleased with this and the child that was conceived between David and Bathsheba died. There were other judgments that were pronounced against David too as a result of his indiscretion. You can read more about it in 2 Samuel 11.

Guard your thought life. Remember, everything starts with a thought. When David saw Bathsheba, he lusted after her and acted on his thoughts.

Please, don’t even entertain the idea of being with another person because it can easily lead to major problems. I wrote a post about this back in March called Emotional Infidelity. Feel free to check it out.

• Christian Mommy Writer July 19, 2009, 10:03 PM

@Nuturingnest – I'm so sorry that you are going through this right now.

I pray that you find a refuge in God during this time. He can heal the hurt, pain, and betrayal that you feel. He can give you direction on which way to go.

I also would suggest that you and your husband get counseling, whether it is from your Pastor or from a licensed professional. Depending on how involved your children have been in this situation, they may need counseling too.

I pray that everything works out for the best for you and your family.

• MS. DINA July 19, 2009, 11:03 AM

I AM GOING THROUGH THIS AT THIS VERY MOMENT. I ASKED MY HUSBAND WAS SHE WORTH IT, AND OF COURSE HE SAID NO. HOWEVER, I HAVE TO TAKE MY CHILDREN INTO CONSIDERATION (17 YR. OLD GIRL AND 10 YR. OLD BOY). HIS CONTINUOUS SELFISHNESS HAS LEFT ME WITH FEELINGS OF DISGUST FOR HIM. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR HIM AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO FROM HERE.

• Faith Imagined July 10, 2009, 6:23 PM

Very powerful post!

• Krystal July 10, 2009, 4:07 PM

I think a lot of this infidelity comes as a side-effect of our culture in general: we don't honor marriage as God ordained it, and promiscuity is so rampant that many of us don't even bat an eye at it anymore! The other day, I saw, like, a Hardee's commercial, with a lady in a slinky white dress with her legs half open eating a burger.

Okay, what?

There is sex and lust everywhere… to the point where I don't even think that we (as a society) recognize it as something to be honored within the covenant of marriage. We just think it's for us to indulge in when we want to. It's sad, really. It's bad enough for the wives involved in these infidelities, but the children… it's not fair to them in the least and even though they don't deserve it, they'll have to deal with the consequences… 🙁

• Christian Mommy Writer July 10, 2009, 2:38 PM

@Becky – I don't know what happened to morals but we need a resurgence of family values. Now, you are looked upon as weird if you live by morals. Things shouldn't be that way.

@Martha – You are right, we need to spread the word about the dangers of lust.

@Proverbs 27:19 – That is a post all by itself. There is no reason to condone adultery.

@Momsweb – you know its sad when the church starts looking like the world.

This is such a sad situation. We need to pray for marriages.

• MOMSWEB July 10, 2009, 7:16 AM

This is so sad and I really grieve when I think about how this is even more evident in the church.

• Martha July 9, 2009, 5:17 PM

Amen!

Lusting is also adultery and it is a gateway to physical adultery.

Right after discussing wisdom, Proverbs immediately warns people to avoid committing adultery. Basically, adultery leads to death. Sometimes it is a sudden death (like Mcnair's death) or it is a slow death. I know many men who lost their families, the love of their wives, and even their health all because of adultery. If our right hand causes us to sin, then we need to cut off that right hand immediately.

We need to spread the truth and warn people before it's too late : it's sad how so many people fall prey to lust 🙁 it affects so many families but I know we can overcome the bondage with God's power <3

• Proverbs 27:19 July 9, 2009, 5:21 PM

What I do not understand is, why cheat if you are not going to leave your spouse? That's not to say I condone it, I just don't understand why risk it if you have plans to continue being with your spouse?

Also, as a military spouse, I hate that ignorant saying, "What goes on TDY stays on TDY." That's just absolutely ignorant. It comes across as a disclaimer for adultery!

Lastly, it bothers me immensely that some people have the ignorant audacity to to try and glorify adultery for military personel and their spouses by saying that it's tough to be away from one another for such stretches of time, therefore…

smooches,
    Larie

• Becky July 9, 2009, 10:31 AM

sometimes I wonder what happened to morality….values…ethics even. No matter how well you think you're covering your tracks, karma's going to get you in the end. I was reading a book last night (based on the teachings on the bible), and I don't remember the actual verse, but it was about how liars and thieves walk through the darkness of night, but everything they do will eventually be seen in the light of day (of God). I feel for family's as they grieve over lost life, lost relationships, lost dreams….but I also worry for the children in all of these cases – what kind of example did their fathers set? After the anger fades, will they follow the same path? I'm not saying that you always follow the same path of your parents – I'm married to a person who witnessed enough adultery in his youth to write a book, and he's now a man with a very strong faith in God and the bible, and marriage. He didn't take our vows lightly the day we got married. I've seen other people though, grow and marry just to cheat and remarry and keep repeating the same process they saw their parents do many years ago. What differentiates these two? Why do some people follow the path and why do others break the cycle?