The Banana Wars

First, it was the Battle of the Broccoli.

Now, we have graduated to the Banana Wars.

My son loves bananas. He would be perfectly fine with eating them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I ate bananas on a regular basis while pregnant with him, so it’s no big wonder that he likes them so much.

Banana (NaNa) was one of the first words he learned how to say.

My son has been doing pretty decent with telling us when he is hungry by saying “Eat.” But as of a couple of days ago, all he asks for is bananas.

He comes up to his dad or me and says, “NA-NA!” He’s so excited that he can ask for what he wants. We go to the kitchen to get a banana for him and he does the happy dance behind us. When he gets the banana, he continues to do the happy dance while eating.

He ate four bananas on Monday. It was crazy! My husband had to go to the store and get more because we ran out of them.

On the one hand, I’m very excited that he is using his words and is asking for things. I’m also happy that his favorite food is something healthy vs. junk food.

But then again, I’m wondering how many bananas is too many for a toddler to eat each day?

Is this something I should be concerned about? Or is it just another phase that he is going through and he’ll grow out of it?

• Sara August 5, 2009, 11:16 PM

Disguised blessings, I love it. Thanks for splashing me today.

Blessings from Costa Rica,
    Sarah Dawn

• mommy4life July 30, 2009, 11:57 PM

Sounds like your son and my daughter would get along famously. They could eat bananas and hide from spiders.

Thanks for sharing my SITS day!

• Amber July 29, 2009, 10:41 PM

My little one (16 months) is doing the same with apples. Since he can ask for them he is ALWAYS asking for one. I don't mind him eating them often but I also think sometimes too much of a good thing may not be ok.

I know I have to be careful with bananas with my middle son because they "plug" him up, then we end up with issues in the bathroom.
    I don't think it can hurt him but it might plug him up.
    Goodluck.
    Cute pitures!!!
    ak

• Faith- Inspired Designs by Faith July 29, 2009, 7:56 PM

I just joined sits too and found your blog! I love your blog and just had to follow you take a look at my blog http://www.inspireddesignsbyfaith.blogspot.com/

• coco-ono July 29, 2009, 3:20 PM

I would say that it doesnt matter how many banannas he eats as long as he doesnt get constipated (which bananas can unfortunately cause). Lots of kids go thru stages like this.

• Chele July 29, 2009, 7:10 AM

Okay so I can't answer the amount for you but I have been told you can eat too many. You may want to google it or call your doctor to see what they think. That's all I have for you, sorry! 🙂