Mommies need breaks. Anyone who thinks otherwise should trade places!
Even the federal government understands the principle of breaks. Depending on who you work for, you are allowed anywhere from 5-20 minute breaks throughout your workday. You are even able to take a lunch break.
Breaks are important because they allow you time away to recharge yourself and come back with a fresh attitude and viewpoint.
So why do some moms feel guilty about taking breaks? Over the past couple of months, I’ve talked to many moms that are very overwhelmed and stressed out. The common denominator among them is that they are not taking regular breaks.
As a stay at home mom, I’m always around my son. I’m either on call or on duty 24/7/365.That can get overwhelming. About every 15-20 days, I need a day off.
Well…maybe not necessarily a day off, but at least a couple of hours for me to get myself together and think about something else besides teaching animal names and playing with toddler toys.
I need time to go to the mall and shop without having to worry about my son’s stroller not fitting into dressing rooms.
I need time to grocery shop without having to worry about my son sampling the groceries in the cart.
I need time to think about and pursue my own goals and desires. A time to put my wants, desires, and needs first for a change.
All of you moms out there need this too!
When we as moms don’t get breaks, we tend to get overwhelmed and more on edge.We have less patience and yell more.
So how can we make time for a break in an already jam-packed schedule? Here’s what I’ve done:
1. I put my son to bed around 8:00PM so that I can spend time with my husband and pursue my own projects.
2. My husband takes a portion of his days off and takes our son out for Father & Son time so that Mommy can get a break.
3. I have a schedule for my son to take naps during the day so that I can have a midday break.
4. I get friends to babysit my son for me when I get overwhelmed.
5. I attend a mom’s group for support and social interaction.
How do you make time for much needed breaks?