Aqua Boy

Yesterday was a busy day for me. I had several writing projects to complete and I didn’t have all the information I needed for one of the projects.

I also had a meeting to attend during the lunch hour. I was so glad when my husband said he could come home and watch our son so I could go to the meeting in peace.

When I called my husband to let him know the meeting was over, he told me that our son was sleep. I secretly rejoiced and had visions of getting tons of work done.

When I got home, my husband greeted me with a huge, kool-aid smile. Our son had woke up before I could get home. My plan went right out of the window!
My husband snickered as he walked out of the door. Our son was playing fine by himself, so I figured that I may be able to get a few articles written. As soon as I got my flow together, my son decided that he wanted to sit in my lap.
Okay, fine.
He sat there like a good little boy while I typed away. He just wanted to be close to me. I think he noticed that I had left him earlier to go to the meeting.

It was soon time for a snack, so I pulled his big boy table beside my work area to give him a snack and his bible pictures coloring book. He enjoyed it and did so well! He colored the pages AND the table, ate his snack, and was very content. I was able to get a lot done.

Later that night, I was talking on the phone with a friend. My husband had run some bath water for my son and closed the bathroom door. He went to get a towel out of the hallway closet when we both heard a funny noise. I ignored it because I thought it was my husband making noise. But all of a sudden, my husband said, “Come here! You gotta see this!!”
Apparently, our son opened the door to the bathroom, saw that his bath water had been run, and got in the tub to give himself a bath. Now let me inform you that prior to last night, he had not been able to open closed doors. He would turn the knob, but not quite understand that he also needed to push the door as he turned the knob. He figured it out rather quickly last night though!
I must admit that it was rather funny to see him in the bath tub, FULLY CLOTHED, DIAPER AND ALL, trying to give himself a bath. He picked up the washcloth and was letting the water drip all over his clothes.
He even tried to drink the water from the washcloth. I know, I know. It’s pretty gross when your son is trying to drink his own bath water.

He looked at us like there was something wrong with us for staring at him. To him, he was just doing something that occurs every day. He had the general principles right…washcloth in one hand, rubber ducky in the other…he just forgot to take off his clothes.

I do realize that there is definitely a safety issue here, so guess what I’ll be doing tomorrow?

You guessed it…buying door knob covers!
What’s the funniest/strangest thing your child has done at bath time?

• MOMSWEB May 13, 2009, 7:13 PM

This is too funny, yet as a mother, I had to look at the water level in the picture (lol). Thank God for that!
    It’s been so long since I gave my sons a bath that I don’t remember them doing anything that stands out, BUT as they get older, begin looking out for the DRY showers. Girrrrl, boys don’t like to bathe!

• Amber May 12, 2009, 11:04 PM

They always figure things out at the wrong time don’t they. Glad you were right there!
    But what a big boy trying to be good and take his bath!! Cute pictures.

My 4 year old loves to put on his goggles and “explore” the tub. My 7 year old used to spin in a circle to make the water spin around too.

Door-knob covers are great but they didn’t work as along for my 4 year old as they did for my first.

Cute post!

• Kennisha Hill May 12, 2009, 9:48 PM

This is hilarious and reminds me of my son. He has been close to jumping in the tub on his own…. I’m just completely terrified of him doing that! I’m glad to hear that you guys caught him in the act! That is so funny. Kids do the funniest things!

I think the funniest thing Kellus did, during bath time, is trying to swim in there. He tried to lay flat on his stomach and dive on both sides. And that was scary too!

I need to get those door-knob covers too!

Great Post!

• Anonymous May 12, 2009, 7:39 PM

Your son is very active and he is
    verry observent.He look so sweet
    in the tub . He want to help you out. He wanted to hurry so he could play with his toys.
    I am glad he didn’t try swimming.
    mama dearest

• Martha May 12, 2009, 12:51 PM

That is hilarious!! My son is taking a bath as I speak, thank goodness he is too picky to take a bath with clothes on :o) or I’ll be stuck with a drippy mess!!

I agree with Erica, I make my son pee in the toilet before he takes a bath. Yep, it should do the trick right? Wrong! The moment my son’s toe hit the water, he automatically starts peeing. Eww!!

I caught my son squirting bath water in his mouth from his toys, ew, I tell him it’s “poo poo water” and he has a panicked look on his face when I say that. Now that does the trick lol. Honey, that ain’t lemonade you’re drinking :o)

(giggle) Thanks for sharing the cutttee pictures, Happy belated Mother’s Day!

• Christian Mommy Writer May 12, 2009, 1:35 PM

Peeing in the bathtub is something that little boys love to do. My son hasn’t done it in a while. My nephew did it one time while my mom and I were giving him a bath. We laughed so hard we could hardly take it and he laughed too!

• Anonymous May 12, 2009, 11:34 AM

Hey Tonya,

It seems like a ritual when my six month old baby pees in his bath water. Seriously, he does it every time ;-). So, I give clean his tub and give him fresh bath water…every time. I’m not mad at him though. When I first started giving him a bath in his tub, he didn’t like it. Now I guess he is a little too comfortable. (LOL).

~Erica L. Butler

• Lynleigh May 12, 2009, 11:09 AM

That is so funny! The strangest thing I would say my son has done during bath time was getting in the tub with his T-shirt still on (because he still hasn’t learned to take that off himself) and drum sticks in hand! LOL! He loves his drums and takes his sticks with him everywhere!! He eats with them, sleeps with them, brings them to church, takes them with him in the car, potties with them, and so much more. It’s amazing what children think of doing at oddest times….LOL!!