Getting My Paula Deen On!

Everyone in our house has been sick since we got back from my Grandfather’s funeral. No one had much of an appetite, so there wasn’t much cooking going on in our household. On a previous blog, I joked that I was going to have to pull a “Paula Deen” next time I cook since it had been so long since I’ve stood behind a stove. This week, I have been on my “A” game in the kitchen.

Earlier this week, I cooked honey chicken with broccoli and corn. Yesterday, I cooked smothered turkey wings with collards (yes, collards!) and rice. To my surprise, I actually had a little fun cooking some of this stuff.

I spent about thirty minutes searching online for recipes on crockpot turkey wings, but then I ran across some recipes for baked turkey wings. I couldn’t figure out what I should do…put the wings in the crockpot or bake them. So what did I do? I did like “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”and called a friend. Well, more like a second mother. I called Ms. Janice.

Ms. Janice is one of my mom’s best friends and has been in my life since I was in middle school. She loves me like a daughter and I love her like a mom. She is an exceptional cook and if anyone can cook some good turkey wings, I knew she could, and stick her foot in it too!
Ms. Janice was glad to help and walked me through every step for the turkey wings AND collard greens. In case you are wondering…I can cook rice without assistance. I’m not that bad of a cook!
Moving right along, after a couple of hours and lots of coaching, dinner was ready!
Here is what it looked like!

I’m turning over a new cooking leaf. I am going to do more meal planning. I figure that I can plan my meals two weeks out and buy the groceries for those meals. That would save me a lot of money versus the current method I use, which is buying a smorgasbord of stuff and still not knowing what I’m going to cook or how I’m going to cook it.

There is a lady named Erin Chase with a blog called $5 Dinners.com. She has appeared on the Rachel Ray Show. Her blog is great and she has a lot of practical tips for buying groceries and cooking. She is serious about couponing. Check her out!
  • 3L April 23, 2009, 6:16 PM

Good food, cooking from scratch, $5 meals, this post is up me alley. Thank you for tweeting a reminder to checkout your blog, I get so much joy (and knowledge) from reading your post.

• God, My Savior Forever! April 23, 2009, 1:14 PM

Hi! I just started following your blog and it’s pretty neat! One of the things that really caught my eye about it is I’m also a military wife! I’ve been hoping to connect with other military wives for a while. The neatest thing though which is something that’s very important to me is thst you’re a Christian as well!!! My hubby is in the Army working on his 9th year. He’s currently an Army recruiter here in Fresno, CA. He was in infantry prior to this. So neat to have come accross your blog!

Let me tell you…just reading about the wonderful dishes you made..makes my mouth watered and my belly smile:D They all sound so delicious! I’m pretty sure the fam was having a blast enjoying their feast. It’s so neat that you have this woman in your life who is like a mother to you. You can never have too many “moms” in your live! I too call my mom from time to time for guidance in the kitchen. I really enjoy cooking and I like to try out new recipes once in a while! Have a blessed day!

Susan@-}—-

• Anonymous April 23, 2009, 12:42 PM

YOU go girl move over RACHEL Mommy

• Kennisha Hill April 23, 2009, 10:48 AM

That looks delightful! Girl, I’d love to talk to Ms. Janice so she could give me some tips too! I actually call my mom who does just like Ms. Janice does for you!

Congrats on a great cooking streak. I’m hoping to get back into cooking really soon. Standing over the stove for too long causes severe dizziness for me, so during this pregnancy my husband has been the chef! And I think he really enjoys it!

Thanks so much for sharing this with us today!

You go girl!

Blessings,
    Kennisha

• Anonymous April 23, 2009, 9:24 AM

Hey Tonya,

Your meal looks good! I’ve been wanting some turkey wings myself. You go girl ;-).

Erica

• elaine @ peace for the journey April 23, 2009, 6:25 AM

Well, good morning, from one Christian mommy to another! Blessings and peace to you this day. Thanks for visiting the blog.

You go Paula Dean; my kids would go into shock to see me behind the stove…husband is the cook around here. On another note…

after first moving to eastern NC, a lovely neighbor left a bag of collards on my back porch. I had no idea what it was; thinking it was lettuce, I began making a salad with the leaves. My husband quickly caught the error. We didn’t cook them (had no clue), and I’ve yet to aquire a taste for them. I’ve not lived that one down yet…

Have a great Thursday. Off to the carpool.

peace~elaine

• MOMSWEB April 23, 2009, 5:01 AM

Enjoyed visiting your blog! I’ll be back (smile). Have a Terrific Tuesday in Motherhood!