I should be an expert on making friends. Besides, I have lived in four different states in the past five years. But you know what? I am shy, contrary to popular belief. It’s not my natural personality to be outgoing.
Constant moving and uncertainty about your spouse being around for the holidays can make it very easy to feel isolated and alone. Here are some tips to help you meet your next bff (“best friend forever” for those unfamiliar with text lingo).
1. Go to military spouse meetings on the base. You will meet people going through the same thing that you are going through. Common bonds are one of the main things that help people to connect and become friends.
2. Get active in your community. Volunteer your time to an agency that needs help. Join a church and be an active member. Participate in recreational events. These options all present opportunities to make new friends.
3. Join a social networking website. Some of the more popular ones include Facebook and Twitter. This can help you to stay in touch with friends that you have made all over the world.
4. Get a flexible phone plan. Sometimes, you just want to hear a person’s voice. Look for promotions with unlimited long distance for a fixed rate. Find a cell phone plan with unlimited nights and weekends.
5. Make a special effort to befriend someone. You have to show yourself friendly to make friends. Invite someone over for dinner or do something nice for them. This can open doors to a great friendship.